3gs and items over 10mb over 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisjburgess, Jun 24, 2009.

1. chrisjburgess macrumors newbie

I am on 3.0 with my new 3gs and I thought that apple lifted the 10mb limitation on 3.0 so you could download things over 10mb over the cell network.... Can anyone confirm? And if not is there a way to enable this? I want to download a TV show while travelling and not near wifi or my mac....

Thanks,
    C

2. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

Cant answer that question. However there is a Starbucks every 1000 feet. It should be real easy to get on that free AT&T wifi and get your D/L on.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Someone said the restriction went up to a whopping 12MB. PARTY ON!

I can tell you there is a cap because I tried to update a large app over 3G and it gave me the "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" message. Until AT&T can unclog its network, you'll just have to figure out where WiFi is. Starbucks gives it to iPhone users for free (and it's very easy to login now), and I think McDonald's does for AT&T users (though it's not as easy).

4. JohnFa macrumors regular

Why do they have this restriction? I'm on an unlimited data plan on the fastest 3G network in Sweden. Sometimes I just use the 3G do download stuff even if I'm at home where I have wifi.

I'd love to download some podcasts that are over 10MB while on the subway.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Europe's networks are far ahead of America's from everything I read on here. I think the pre-iPhone devices, namely BlackBerry models, were primarily for getting e-mail and doing the occasional Web search on a painfully crappy browser.

The iPhone pretty much exceeded any expectations on data usage. A functional browser meant people would actually use Web sites, and there are tons of apps that need an Internet connection. AT&T keeps expanding its network but literally can't keep up. This is why I think a Verizon iPhone would be great, diverting a lot of potential customers to there and sucking up some of its bandwidth. Not so good for AT&T financially, but customers will be happier with faster speeds and more reliable connections.

I'd personally love to know why sitting 10 feet indoors causes my 3G speed to drop 1Mbps. Here at home, I'm indoors by about 5 feet and can get 2.4Mbps. But at work, I barely get a signal sometimes, often dropping to EDGE, and can get no better than 400kbps. But I walk outside the building and get 1.5Mbps.

6. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

7. JohnFa macrumors regular

I think, though I'm not sure, my carrier's network is capable of 7.2Mbps, which comes in handy when they start selling the 3G S this summer.

So you're saying the restriction is there because the AT&T network might not be up to people downloading large files as opposed to Apple being concerned that people might get expensive data bills? :p

8. red5ive macrumors newbie

I received a message while trying to download a podcast yesterday over 3G that files over 10MB needed to be downloaded over WiFi.

9. DVDxR macrumors regular

The really dumb part is that it will let you stream the exact same podcasts over 3G, from the app store on the device, that it won't let you download!

Figure that one out...

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

For AT&T, the download limit for music has been upped to 12MB. It's still sad that we can't download anything larger than that without WiFi.

I did activate tethering on my 3G S and then opened iTunes on my laptop. I purchased a music video on the laptop and it took about 14 minutes to download over the 3G connection, so there are ways to get around it :)