3GS as car music player

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dirk the Daring, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Dirk the Daring macrumors newbie

I'm attempting to use an iPhone 3GS as my music player in my car, which has an iPod dock connector in it. This is to replace the current device, which is an iPhone 1. The reason for the switch is to take advantage of iTunes match. I've run into a few snags, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

* The car is designed to only play the first 6 playlists (using the CD player buttons.) However, I can't see a way to only select some playlists to sync with iTunes Match-- I have to take every playlist in my library.

Is there a way to select only certain playlists to a device? My other option is to prepend my car playlists with a "1" to put them at the top of the list, and that's just annoying for my other devices.

* When I plug in the 3GS, I get a "charger not supported" message. Is there a way I can debug what is actually going wrong so I can try to work around it? (It works fine with my iPhone 1)

Thanks for any help!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You get this message because the car is trying to charge the iPhone via FireWire pins, not the USB charge pins. The iPod Touch 1G and original iPhone are the only iOS devices that can charge with FireWire power. The iPhone 3G and newer can only charge via the USB pins. This is a hardware limitation and cannot be fixed by software. There are little dock adapters that change FIreWire power to USB power.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I get that message with my "new" 3GS. Now i know why.Thanks.