3GS as only digicam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kinkster, Jul 30, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Iv needed to get a new digital camera for quite a while now. My old powershot almost always gives me a "low battery" or "memory card error" message whenever I power it on.

I have also been looking forward to 3GS prices dropping a bit on eBay so I can get one to replace my 3G. But now I'm thinking I might get the 3GS a bit sooner and just use it for all my picture-taking needs.

Anyone else done the same without regretting it?

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

It's much better than the 3G's camera, but it will never replace a DSLR or even a good point-and-shoot completely, simply because those cameras have many more features and are far more customizable. The 3GS does have a great camera for a phone, though. Depends on how much of a photographer you are.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The 3GS camera is kind of like going back in time into Best Buy in 2001 and spending $150 on a camera, then breaking the flash on it.

I still know people who have cameras like that, so if you're like them, you may actually be happy with the iPhone camera.

But the fact is, your picturs will be far better if you just go out and buy something like this. Being newer it will probably work a lot better than your old camera.

But it's up to you. The iPhone camera is certainly "good enough" that I wouldn't make fun of you for using it as an only camera.

4. Hawkwind macrumors member

It won't even compete against a poor point and shoot....c'mon let's be realistic, it's pretty grim if you have ever used a dedicated camera of any type.

Forget pixel counts and clever processing, you just can't get around the severe penalty to pay for having a lens the diameter of a pinhead.

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

And breaking the zoom!

I'm sorry, but an iPhone camera can never replace a real camera in any real situation. For me, it does fine because I never really take pictures. My friends, especially the girls, take pictures of any and everything so I just use theirs. I only rarely take pictures with my iPhone, basically just because I can. Going without a flash is fine for me, because if your on vacation and want to take scenic pictures its usually during the day anyways, but no zoom is the deal breaker. You'd honestly be better off buying a $50 camera on ebay and it will be MUCH better then using the iPhone camera as a REAL camera.

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Replacing a digital camera with a 3.0 megapixel camera on a smartphone?

That makes no sense. Yes, you'd have a camera feature on your iPhone 3GS, but it pales in comparison to the power of any other DSLR out there, or even a simple point and shoot digital camera.

You'd be sacrificing quality, accuracy, different effects, timers, etc., and not to mention, depending on what kind of camera, you'd be spending a whole lot more.

If you just want something to snap photos with on the go and don't really care about the quality/whatever, get a plain ol' digital camera.

The camera on a 3GS is a nice feature, but it isn't the most prominent feature by far. It's just something nice to have, it shouldn't be a replacement for an actual camera.

7. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Yo that's funny...finally some sanity. pinhead...ha ha makes you wonder what else has a pinhead around hear :D

Edit: On a serious note, what I gather from original OP is that he either get the iphone or a camera but not both at this time. I'd go for the iphone, you can get a pretty decent camera later for a lot less than a 3GS.