3GS availability, can you just walk in and buy one yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 8frames, Jun 25, 2009.

1. 8frames macrumors newbie

So I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 3gs. Was wondering what's people's experience with just walking into an apple store to purchase? Are you having any luck?

Try calling my local apple store in seattle and was put on hold for over 10mins...and no luck with a bunch of ATT stores.

Is inventory pretty dry? Are there any online inventory checkers like with the 3G launch?

Just trying to get a sense...thanks!

2. cwazytech macrumors 6502

Yes.

I walked in an Apple store on the release date at closing time and they still had them. The next day I went to a different Apple store they had some too.

3. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

It's almost a week later, I would think Apple would be getting shipments in quiet often, but I'm not sure. Your chances are better at an Apple Store than they are at an ATT store.

4. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I walked in on Sunday evening and picked one up no problem...

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Went yesterday. There's still a line, and there's three bastards in front of me buying FIVE! iPhones EACH! Their intentions are obvious, the bastards.

Still, I just showed up, grabbed the iPhone and went on my way, more or less.

6. mb2008 macrumors regular

I went to the Apple store in FW Thursday, they were out of 16g when they opened. I waited around for three hours to see if they would get a shipment, and then I had to leave with a 32G instead.

7. 8frames thread starter macrumors newbie

so not cool.

Awesome, as long as there's hope!

8. hibby417 macrumors newbie

Philadelphia

I just went to one of the two Philadelphia area stores (Ardmore), and all they had left were 32 gig phones. They're expecting more 16 gig phones tomorrow, and I got the impression they receive pretty regular shipments of them. Hope that helps...

9. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

why is that a problem? 32GB is better:)

10. crzy4ifone macrumors newbie

My contract doesn't renew till Sunday so I called the Apple stores here in Portland OR. 2 of the 3 had them and said they get shipments 6 days a week. They said to call before closing the night before and be there early the next morning if they are low. Need to get mine before I go on vacation next week. :D

AT&T stores are worthless. Girl there told me " oh there's no way you'll get one unless you order through us." Obviously she thought I was stupid.

Apple :apple:gets way more stock than they do as they should.

11. 8frames thread starter macrumors newbie

funny, that's exactly what ATT told me.

12. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

Just went to my local Apple store this morning and picked up a 16 GB in black. The guy said they had the 16 GB only in black but had the 32 GB in both.

13. crzy4ifone macrumors newbie

I would hope they would try and restock for the weekend. I'm sure they will be busier but it sounds like most of the people who were eligible, preordered or picked up already. At least that's what I'm hoping. :)

Hoping for a white 16gb but will be happy with black as well.

14. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

got one on Sunday at Easton Apple Store in C-bus. No line, but only had 32gb and black 16's. not white.

15. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I walked in Saturday afternoon and bought one.

16. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

I think it'll depend on where you live. A friend tried getting one here in San Antonio Monday, and no luck. They told him it was going to be a while for them to get some back.

17. crzy4ifone macrumors newbie

We have 3 stores here in close proximity so I think that definitely helps. I'm crossing my fingers. Calling Sat night and will be there when they open on Sunday. If not, I have 3 more chances before I leave on Thurs.

18. OnTrack Studios macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

I bought my phone on Tuesday (6-23). I waited in line for about an hour and a half at the Altamonte Springs, FL Apple Store 10 mins from Orlando). For some odd reason each person that went in took an average of 20 mins to complete their transaction....while I on the other hand was out in less than 5 to 6 minutes. We all ended up with the same item so why theirs took so long is beyond me. And these were not new AT&T customers... they all had iPhones already and were simply upgrading, just like me. I didn't mind waiting though. When there's something I really want I'm willing to put up with a little nonsense to get it. On a side note, they were out of 16gb black. They had all other models.

19. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

I made the last minute decision to buy one this past Monday night. I went to Best Buy at 9:30 am the next day. It opened at 10 and I was the only one who went to BB Mobile. I walked out 5 minutes later with a black 32 gig. People are overlooking Best Buy it seems.

20. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I'm in Seattle too. The AT&T stores that I've checked seem to be out of them. I wanted a 32gb black. I called both University Village and Lynnwood this morning but both only had the 32gb in white. However, they said that they get in new shipments daily around 1pm. So, I called University Village back at 3pm and they said that yes they did have 32gb black (they got a decent supply of all the variations). I went there and there was a line of maybe 5-10 people in front of me, and it took like an hour of waiting but I did get the 32gb black that I wanted and activation was pretty straightforward. When I left there were maybe 10 people in the line. So, my impression is that it takes a little planning, but you can get them.

21. Acronym macrumors 68000

i walked into a rogers store tried to get an upgrade :| with no luck and then debated on buying it outright went to the bank came back and bought a 16 gig black they had white and black for both models

22. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Walked in Monday night before closing in Cleveland Ohio. Grabbed a white 16gb. In and out in 10 minutes!

23. duncanapple macrumors 6502

I had ordered one online Monday - I was in the mall this evening though and decided to see if they had one, as my online order hadnt shipped yet according to the website. My plan was to cancel that order if the store had em.

Sure enough the apple store had them but the sales lady advised I first call apple, to be sure my order hadnt taken my eligibility. Sure enough the apple hotline said my order had in fact shipped, and the phone was already activated in my name (i thought iTunes was going to activate it when I plugged in?).

I was a little bummed to not be able to walk out with one, but apple was cool about it on the phone... without my asking, they upgraded my shipping to overnight (didnt know they could do that either, once the shipment went out - pretty cool) so I should have it tomorrow anyway. Its easy to get caught in the hype, but it is just a phone after all. One day wont kill me :)

24. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Went to Best Buy today..nada.. then to my local AT&T Store...nope.. I Did not get to the Apple Store I di'nt feel like Driving another 20 min or so.. but they are pretty well sold out.

25. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

lucky. I ordered mine online via AT&T on Saturday and they have not shipped it yet.

The closest Apple store to me is 90 minutes, so I'm not driving that just for a phone.

AT&T store in my area sucks, the customer service is terrible.

The best buy is actually nice, and they told me I'd have to pre-order it still from them. So I'm just going to wait out for my online order.