3GS Baseband Downgrade?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jamesbeat, Jul 2, 2012.

1. jamesbeat macrumors newbie

I just bought an iphone 3GS with BB 06.15.00, which I obviously want to downgrade.
    The latest version of Redsn0w (thanks to the awesome Mr. Musclenerd) is able to do this, but it doesn't work on all 3GS's due to a slight hardware difference on some models.

There's apparently going to be an update to fix this soon, but I'd like to have GPS working asap.
    I was wondering whether it is safe to go ahead and try the current version, or will I damage something if my phone turns out to be one of the incompatible ones?

In other words, can I just try it and shrug my shoulders if it doesn't work, or will I end up with a corrupted basband?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try it.
    If its not compatible it won't change or damage anything.

3. jamesbeat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    I thought as much, but I wanted to be sure before taking the plunge.
    There are so many posts by idiots in the comments on the dev team blog that it's hard to separate out the facts...

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Try it. It wont mess up anything ( tested on mine several times.)

----------

Fact: it won't do any harm to your phone. I've used it a lot.

5. jamesbeat thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome.
    I hope it works, or that musclenerd releases the update soon.
    This is great news for 3GS owners, and also for people like me who were in the market for a used one.
    A week or two ago, a 3GS with the ipad baseband would have been something to go to great lengths to avoid!

It's funny, the seller (a phone-selling business no less, not a private seller) advertised the phone as 100% working.
    In fact, they had a few 3GS's, all with the ipad baseband, and all were advertised as fully functional.
    There will probably be a few p***** off buyers who don't know the first thing about basebands and are wondering why the GPS doesn't work...