3GS battery capacity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maflynn, Jun 22, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is the battery on the 3Gs better, worse the same? I know apple is stating its a tad better but real world usage, is it better or worse?

I'm not sure yet but I thinking that I'm getting less battery on my 3Gs then my old 3G. I woke up this morning to see that was at 80% on my 3G I think it wouldn't be that low. Of course I'm not using the battery percentage on the 3Gs and before I use an app called batterylog which doesn't work on the 3Gs (or 3.0 not sure which) so I could be comparing apples to oranges.

Any other 3Gs owners thoughts or opinions on the battery?

2. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

I am having battery problems with my new iPhone 3gs...So far today, I am down to 87% battery with 1hr 13 min of usage (primarily some browsing and texting on 3g) and 2hr 35min standby. push notifications on, 3g on, everything else off.

What are other people experiencing? This seems worse than my 3g...but I am also thinking that apple could have changed the battery meter a bit with the new phone/software.

Thoughts?

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Give it a few full charge cycles. I've cycled it 2-3 times and the battery is noticeably better than my 3G.

4. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

It's hard to tell because I'm using my 3GS more than my 3G, testing out its speed with various apps, so battery life for my 3GS seems less than my 3G. Plus having the battery percentage constantly displayed seems to draw my attention to the battery drain more than just the battery icon on the 3G. I dunno...seems to me like the 3G had better battery life, but that could be because I just used it less than the 3GS.:confused:

5. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

That's what I am hoping for...I have only done one full cycle on the phone so far...did you run your battery down all the way for the first few cycles or just plugged in as you normally would (for me, that's before i go to bed)..

6. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Push will destroy your battery. Apple was very misleading about push in their keynote.

7. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I'm not sure if it's having the battery meter that's making me think my battery is bad, or if it actually is. Last night, witih 3G, wifi, and location services on, I managed to browse on wifi for about 2 hours and went from 100% to 81%. I do have my brightness set to about 33% and was sitting in a darker room.

I also played a 1 hour video Saturday and went from 93% to 87%. This was with wifi off.

I do notice 3G browsing seems to take a hit ok battery. But my battery seems to be improving with each discharge/recharge. So I'm giving it some more time.

8. LiquidThunderLT macrumors member

I used the developer preview of aim with push very heavily and there was no noticable difference in how long I went between charges. But I'm sure your presumtion trumps my actual real world experience, right?

9. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Compared to my 2G, this battery seems to blow. It hasn't even lasted me a full day yet. On my 2G, I could go at least a day, sometimes two. I realize that I'm using it a bit more since it's my "new toy"... but still. I'm not impressed with this battery at all yet. Hopefully it'll be better after a couple cycles like someone else mentioned.

10. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

My guess is that the battery is pretty similar, but the new cpu/gpu hardware is more efficient.

This is supported by times: music, video, internet is increased, but 3G data remains the same.

Maybe!

11. joro macrumors 68020

joro

After the first few charges, battery life was TERRIBLE and I was worried because I use it frequently for e-mail (exchange) and web surfing. After charging it yesterday though, the battery life has seemed to remain constant and it’s not draining as quick. Just needs a few cycles to get adjusted.

Also, I think the fact that it has a percentage now might give a false impression that it’s losing charge faster than the 3G because we weren’t used to seeing that on the 3G.

12. Edge171 macrumors member

I am coming from a 3G..the battery on the 3GS def seems to drain quicker...I have all the same settings as i did on my 3G..Hopefully 3.0.1 will fix these issues...ive texted a few people, checked the app store and listened to music and after 38 min of usage im down to 93%..ive actually taken the battery meter off b/c it was driving me nuts....