3Gs, battery dies without warning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duncanapple, Jul 3, 2009.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hi - I know there is a lot of talk about battery life with 3g/3gs but I didnt see anyone else with this problem in a search, so maybe I have a defective unit?

So, I totally get that 3G sucks the battery very quick. Though I am very suprised just how quick! With my old 2G phone, I could easily make 4-5 1/2 minute calls, check email all day, check FB a handful of times, and listen to the ipod at work for 4-5 hours. Doing this, I would need to charge every 2 days or so, and I usually wouldnt even be empty yet.

I just got a 3Gs this past week... wow... yesterday from a full charge, I checked my email a couple times, FB 3-4 times plus posted a pic, and made 3 calls totaling less than 5 minutes. Oh, and took 2 pictures. It died before the day was over?

I read how this is common, but I thought for sure people were using their phones a lot more to not make it through a day.

So my question/point;
    The kicker is (I would be willing to accept the above and just get a car charger), I never get a warning before it dies. The first time it happened I thought it had crashed b/c it just went black. The battery icon hadnt turned red yet (still had a sliver of green), and I definitely didnt get the low battery "dismiss" pop up box. Only after I plug it into the charger and turn it back on does the "low batt warning, dismiss" box come up (a lot of good it does me at that point :rolleyes: )

Sooo, is anyone else seeing this? It has done it 3/4 days/nights I have owned this thing. I know I can turn 3G off for better battery life, but thats not the point - point is, why do I get no warning? I would def stop using email and FB at the point its about to die so I still have a phone!

Do I need to exchange?

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I've had some weird battery behavior as well, but turn off all notifications. Seems some apps are constantly fetching and running down batteries.

3. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm - other than the apple apps, I only have shazam, pandora, whats on (a tv guide app), countdown (a timer app), and facebook. Other than maybe facebook, I didnt think any of those apps fetch (not even FB fetches right now I didnt think?).

Unless its the apple apps?

But even the above doesnt explain why I dont get a red battery or low battery warning. Surely it isnt wearing down that fast that it doesnt even have time to warn me?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You might try a restore to see if there's a software issue that is running down the battery and especially since you're not getting the battery warning at 20% and 10%. Other than that, you should take it back and get an exchange. Chances are good that you won't get a refurb this early.