3GS Battery indicator.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SXR, May 30, 2010.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

So I recently noticed that my iPhone 3GS' battery indicator jumped from 55% tot 37% in 5 minutes while it was sleeping.

I started noticing that the battery indicator is jumping all of the sudden , it didn't do this before.

Has anyone noticed this, is it a bug or something else?

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

Only time I've noticed mine fluctuate significantly is when I turn my iPhone on if it's been turned off overnight. It might say 15% for a couple of seconds and then jump to 30% for example. Always fine after that though so just seems to be when it's first coming on.

3. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Yes, I have noticed that aswell. But that just doesnt bother me as much , cause i never have to turn my phone on - its almost never turned off in the first place. I just dont like that the battery indicator lies to me lol.

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

Are you anywhere near an Apple store? You could take it to the Genius Bar and get them to run diagnostics.

5. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

I live in the Netherlands and there are no genius bars here ;(

6. WashupDawg macrumors regular

My 3GS does the same thing when turning it on. It always shows a low percentage and then jumps to the real percentage. Strange, but it seems like it's not a real bug.

My percentage indicator has once done a real jump down. Recently it went from 32% to 28% in just a blink of an eye. I had done quite a bit of small charging, so there could be "holes" or disturbances in the battery. But it's just my assumptions. Normally my indicator does quite a good job by decreasing one percent at a time. Compared to other phones I've owned, the iPhone does a much better job in giving a decent indication. My SE phone takes like 10% at time when it decreases :p

7. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Well , mine made a jump from 55% to 37%. Thats substantial. I would not charge my phone for example if it was on 55% , but i would on 37%.

I just hope it doesnt happen to often.

8. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

try draining it completely and do a full charge, sometimes the battery needs to be re-conditioned - i think Apple recommend to do this once a month.

9. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thanks. I will give that a try as soon as I can. Now im thinking about it, I used to do that a lot but I havent recently.