3GS Battery Issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockauteur, Jun 22, 2009.

1. rockauteur macrumors newbie

I know there's been some postings regarding the 3.0 software and battery drain but haven't seen too many posts regarding brand-spanking new 3Gs battery issues... Since Friday, have only hit 100% battery one day, and I've charged it fully every night for 8-12 hours. Today, I made one call, received one call, played a few games of solitaire, went to one website... and was 20% by 8 pm, (and I unplugged it around 10 am). My first gen iphone went days without charging... I don't even want to know what will happen when I watch a video... Anyone else experiencing similar issues? I'm going to the Genius Bar tomorrow with a scheduled appointment but the guy at the store tonight hasn't heard of this issue yet...

2. Radioman macrumors regular

My battery is going down from around 90% to 30% in a period of about 8 hours overnight just sitting on the bedside table. I would be very interested to know what your Genius says.

Anyone else having this issue?

3. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I think we're spoiled, going from a 2G iPhone to a 3G (albeit an S). My friend's iPhone 3G drains battery even faster than my 3G S. Not by that much, but still -- my 2G iPhone could go a couple days without a charge, easily.

Things to do:
    - turn down brightness
    - turn off 3G
    - stop playing with your new phone so much =)

4. Radioman macrumors regular

This doesn't explain it running down over night though!

Before anyone asks the check mail (for non-push) is set to manual. Something is draining it during the night, it's the night goblins!

5. bonecracker macrumors member

My iphone had similar problems, where the meter would show 70% and then 10 minutes later it would go to 10% of battery left. I took it back to the store and the manager said that his 3GS was lasting at least 2 days with still 50% of charge left.

He gave me a new iphone as the other was faulty according to him. I have had the new one for 1 day and we shall see how this one pans out through out the day.

6. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

The batt performance on the 3g s is a bit disapointing or maybe I'm just really using the heck out of this phone now. I do use the streaming bt audio and have my screen on high those are battery killas.

7. Que macrumors 6502

yours is answered here by me.

8. jasonkneen macrumors newbie

Nope something more serious is going on here. My 3G had several ICALS, a CALDAV and Exchange email on Push, Gmail, and another IMAP on Fetch (30 min interval) and would last a whole day without a problem. Turn on airplane mode overnight and the battery wouldn't move. When at 100% it would take a couple of hours on idle before I saw the meter drop a pixel.

The 3GS starts at 100% off the charger and within 5 minutes on Push it's down to 95% and steadily loses charge. Turn off Push and it slows.

First day I got 3.5 hours usage, 4 hours standby (remember this isn't in addition to, the 4 hours INCLUDES the 3.5 hours usage as per Apples on pages on this)

Once I turned off Push I got around 4 hours usage and 17 hours standy so 17 hours before it was down to around 15%

Too many people are having these issues, either the battery meter is now more accurate OR there is something wrong.

9. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I was having some issues whcih I think are on the path to being resolved. I drained the battery all the way down. I plugged into the wall to charge, not by USB and the charge is holding nicley.

I charged my wifes via USB and did the same actions, as I did on my wall charged phone, and hers is down to 90% and I am at 98%.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

?

What I don't understand is,

why should simply accessing the 3G NETWORK drain the battery faster? If there isn't an additional boatload of activity, shouldn't a more future generation network and wireless card be more energy efficient? Shouldn't it actually be MORE efficient since when it DOES access the network, it should take a fraction of the time to do any transfers of data and then be off in standby again?

11. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

I just upgraded to the iPhone 3gs but the battery is soooo much worse than 2.2.1 on my iPhone 3g...usually 1hr 45 mins of usage and 6 hours of standby=85% battery on the 3g..on the 3gs, the battery is at 70% with the same usage/services turned on...

I am wondering if its the software or if my phone is a lemon...either way, if it keeps up this way over the next few weeks im returning this for a new one...

12. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Things were like this on the 3G as well ... when you have a brand new phone there are 2 factors I notice.

- It's new, you're playing with it a lot.
    - It seems to take a while to break in the battery.(might be an illusion due to my first point)

- I noticed after a while my 3G's battery improved substantially to what seemed like double of what I had when I first got my 3G.

Give it a month and these threads will start to vanish.

13. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

i got about 5hr and 37 min of usage with 8% battery left today.

14. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

going to fully charge mine tonight before i go to sleep and leave it about 8-10 hours till i wake up.

last time i did this with everything but bluetooth on it was on about 50%

going to try it with push email turned off.

maybe others might want to try the same tests..

15. RaZaK macrumors regular

RaZaK

hmm...

did you try turning off WiFi?

16. ddavid macrumors regular

WTF? Buy a 3G but turn off 3G? What's next a corded version, just like the old Ma Bell phones? (they had awesome talk time!)

17. TLewis macrumors 65816

Something is definitely going on, but I'm not sure what.

Try this: fully charge the 3GS (e.g., overnight). Then, over the course of a day, keep track of your "time since last full charge" (Settings->General->Usage). This is best done without listening to music or watching videos, as that counts toward usage.

Yesterday, mine was in the 2-3 hour range, and there's no way that I was actively using it that much. My guess is that something (push???) is doing some heavy background usage. I'm not sure how much Apple can do about this, though.

(My 3GS has all features turned on, as there's really no point in having a 3GS otherwise. :D Still, I get a decent day's usage. I've always charged my phones each night, and so doing that doesn't bother me.)