3GS battery issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tyranical, Jul 6, 2009.

1. tyranical macrumors regular

Is anyone elses 3GS battery life pretty poor? This is my first iphone so i don't know what i should of been expecting, but today, i got 3 hours 30 minutes of use out of it before the battery died completely (4 hours standby beforehand then 3 hours 30 of solid use). The tasks i used it for were a bit of internet browsing (not 3g), a few txts, bit of msn and played some games for quite a while. Most days last week i got similar usage out of it.

I've got 5 pages of apps not sure if that makes any difference.

I've got all location services, wifi, 3g internet turned off and i had it set at the lowest possible screen brightness for most of the use mentioned above as i was indoors.

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There's a ton of threads on here about the battery (so make sure you read some), but for one thing, you shouldn't expect the battery to be perfect right out of the box. You might need to have a few charge/discharge cycles before it starts acting like it normally will. Also, as the poster said above, games really kill the battery. Then again, you could be one of the few that has a bad battery.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right. If you spend 1 day doing just phone calls, texts, and some e-mails, you'll see an iPhone with a nice long battery life.

(NOTE: I have never made it an entire day.)

That's the problem, the phone is so much fun it's easy to waste battery quickly. Get a charger for your computer, your bed, your car, and your work. Do that and you'll be fine! It's the only way to do it. The alternative is to not use your phone for fun stuff, and that's just crazy.

5. Jacc Sparrow macrumors member

Jacc Sparrow

I was wondering if somebody can tell me if I was exp good battery life or not

This is my first Iphone (3gS)..and coming from a G1 wich made love to the charger constantly..I'm wondering if this is good battery life.. took my phone off the charger today @ 700am right now its almost 1pm.and im @ 44%..with 3 hours and 29 minutes of usage and 6 hrs 4 mins standby time....I use it for music on the train..made a 3 minute phone call..I played about 20 minutes of a game..and ive been listening music..all day here at work..Im going to power cycle the phone this evening..So can somebody tell me if this is good or bad..Btw the push is set for every 30 min.Screen brigthness is @ 70% im on 3G and location services is turned on

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can also get an external battery to carry along with you. Supposedly they're good for 3-4 charges (maybe more, I forget exactly). I've thought about getting one. They sell them at Best Buy (~$40) or you can get one from Amazon even cheaper. At any rate, the 3GS is supposed to have a much better battery. Time will tell.

7. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

I've had the phone since release date so its not that its not had many charge cycles. So its games that are killing my battery is it? It used to last longer when i first got it than it does now i'm sure of it.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Games can zap your battery, especially if they're 3-D.

9. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

If you haven't yet run the phone from a full charge down until it powers itself off, you might want to do that a couple times.

Otherwise, that does seem a little short. But as others have said, games drain the battery very quickly, so whithout knowing exactly how long you played, it's hard to say. If you played for an hour or two, I'd say the battery is normal.

10. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

yeh i do play an hour or 2

Disappointed tbh, i played games all day long on my w810i and it lasted all day easy.

Anyone recommend one of these battery packs then or batterypack/case things