3GS battery life tip?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by phynios, Feb 17, 2010.

1. phynios macrumors member

phynios

I use my 3GS religiously. Throughout each day I get dozens of calls (work phone diverted to personal phone) as well as making several calls per day, reading emails & replying, texting, browsing (not that often during the day but sometimes on my lunch break - reading this forum for example). I also use Backgrounder/ProSwitcher and half the time I find that apps are still running (email and safari mostly) so I only end up closing them at that stage! I still go home in the evening after a 9 hour day with 60-70% battery life. What's wrong with that? And I use Winterboard! :D

I read loads of threads in iphone forums complaining about the iphone battery life but from early on (week of purchase) I kept this in mind and started freeing up the iPhone's memory at various intervals (3 or 4 time per day). Hence my results above. Surely that's a small price to pay for extended battery life. This is the only thing I seem to do that I don't hear people mention on forum threads so I'm just throwing it out there...

Try it...

2. vwDavid macrumors regular

Wow, I keep bluetooth off, push off, almost never text or take a call, check e-mail once or twice, play 10 min. of solitaire and go home with 90% remaining.

All your usage and you still have 60-70% left. wow. what are you doing.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

alright share the wealth!

4. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

5. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There are a number of apps to free memory, Scan being one of them. Whether that helps battery life is debatable.

7. phynios thread starter macrumors member

phynios

Sorry for slow reply. I just use sbsettings' 'Processes' utility, and pressing 'Free Up Memory', however i tend to respring if I still fall short of 150MB free after this. If I respring, it leaves me with c.170MB free. Sometimes, whatever is going on in the background, it might show <130MB which is why I'd respring in this case, but this doesn't happen too often (a few times a week).

Regarding the above statement about whether or not the battery is improved by freeing memory or not; I recall a day recently where my battery showed 59% at lunch time and when I checked the memory it said I had 86MB free. That's evidence enough for me to keep up my little habit.

8. adamjay79 macrumors newbie

I would love to have that much batt at the end of the day. I use mine similary to yours, except I do not have my work calls forwarded. At the end of the day, I am at like 20%

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I tried this for s and g's and I got WORSE battery life.

10. phynios thread starter macrumors member

phynios

Not to turn this into some kind of blog or anything but as I write this I have 75% batt remaining and it is 20:55 in Ireland after a 09:00 start in work. My work phone was diverted to my iPhone all day and I just checked, I took 11 calls today. Pretty quiet by comparison to most days but still texting and checking email. Battery at 75% now sounds about right on the money!

Any ideas why there are such vast differences in batt performance for even just the few people who have posted here? AdamJay, yours is particularly bad. Aggie, I don't know what else to say, just reporting my own experience. How much worse are u talking?

Edit: just for the record, I didn't "free up memory" once today, currently showing 101MB Free. Go fig...

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Instead of my normal 5 hours (all surfing), I only got 4 hours. I have a 3G, so I don't have the memory that you have.

So, how many days can you go without recharging?

12. phynios thread starter macrumors member

phynios

I've only ever gone one night without recharging which was away on Weekend break in another part of the country. The phone barely survived til the next night at the time. I can't remember the usage stats for that weekend but there wouldn't have been any work calls at the time.

If you're using the iPhone for browsing only would you not consider a netbook or something more capable?