Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I run my 3GS pretty much 24/7. The almost constant Internet use is beginning to take a toll. Right now I have it stripped back, no extra's sucking power, and I've begun to notice a sharp decline in battery life. And a sharp decline in how long the 3GS holds a full charge.

What are my options? Does anyone make an aftermarket battery I can put into my 3GS myself? Will Apple change the battery for me at my local store? Or do I have to, shudder, send it in?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
You're under warranty. I've had the Genius Bar replace my iPhone with a new one for battery life inadequacy. If you can politely and clearly state your concern it should be resolved.

Yes they will exchange the battery at the store, otherwise.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
You're under warranty. I've had the Genius Bar replace my iPhone with a new one for battery life inadequacy. If you can politely and clearly state your concern it should be resolved.

Yes they will exchange the battery at the store, otherwise.

My question goes along with this. One, how bad does the battery have to be to get it replaced? Like mine goes down to 80% frequently with only about 30minutes of usage.

And second, how to you prove it to the Genius? Can they tell the battery life when they plug it in to their software at the Bar, or do they just take your word for it or what? :confused:

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
higest

what is the highest level capacity battery available? I SAW 2300mah, but no longer, only 1800 mah now.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
There are after market batteries. But you need to take out the logic board and screen to get to the battery, you've gotta be very comfortable with gadget disassembly. It's not hard but it's not easy. And there are higher capacity batteries. http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/4303-battery-iphone-3g.html
Arguing with the genius bar would be easier.

If you wanted to upgrade I'm guessing the Genius Bar won't do the replacement and still keep the warranty on the iPhone active right? You'd have to install it yourself correct?

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
My question goes along with this. One, how bad does the battery have to be to get it replaced? Like mine goes down to 80% frequently with only about 30minutes of usage.

And second, how to you prove it to the Genius? Can they tell the battery life when they plug it in to their software at the Bar, or do they just take your word for it or what? :confused:

Excellent questions. I'm interested in the answers as well. Pephaps the poster can fill us in on how he took care of these problems?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
One of the times I was dissatisfied I saved a dozen screenshots from the battery thread and then took several days of my battery screenshots. Maxed out everything then when it got to 20% 3 hours I turned everything OFF and said hey Genius WTF. Help!

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
This is why Apple needs a removable battery. I'll have to try the screenshot method. My battery life keeps falling. I have everything turned off and I'm barely surviving a work shift.

DazBrowne

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
All iPhone's have sucky batteries but I have found that when you get any electonic device (phone , laptop, psp ect) with a rechargeable battery you should charge it for a solid 2-3 hours straight out of the box _ after that use until battery is dead repeat 3 to 4 times and your battery will work to the best that it can . ( its called training your battery or something nut it works!)

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I took a series of time lapse screen shots last night at work. Does Apple have an email address where I can send them for proof of a problem?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
In order for Apple to replace the iPhone because of the battery. You must be getting less than 5 hours of usage per full charge. When you take it into the apple store, the Genius plugs it into a computer and run some tests, which then indicate your average usage over the past two week cycle. My battery was at 5 hours 2 minutes and 15 seconds and they absolutely refused to replace it. He said I would have to come back in two weeks to see if the average dropped to below 5 hours.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
In order for Apple to replace the iPhone because of the battery. You must be getting less than 5 hours of usage per full charge. When you take it into the apple store, the Genius plugs it into a computer and run some tests, which then indicate your average usage over the past two week cycle. My battery was at 5 hours 2 minutes and 15 seconds and they absolutely refused to replace it. He said I would have to come back in two weeks to see if the average dropped to below 5 hours.

That's very good info. Thanks for that post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.