3GS Battery Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lucbert, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Hey!
    I am having a problem with my iPhone 3GS.
    The battery indicator is acting very, very weird.
    It keeps changing.
    This morning my iPhone was 83% charged. I used this afternoon it showed 56% and a couple minutes later it suddenly showed 69% (I did not charge it I know that for a fact).
    After that I kept on using it until Battery was down to 39% and now it is suddenly showing 65% again.
    I really don't know what is wrong. Has that happened to anyone? I would really, really appreciate your help!

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Try restoring it. See if that fixes the problem.

3. jeffames macrumors newbie

Same issue

Well, I fell a bit better knowing that I'm not the only one. I watched my 3G S go from 20% to 7% while I was using it, set it aside for an hour, and when I picked it up I had 35% charge left. I'm taking it to the Apple store.

4. dss macrumors member

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. In the spirit of full disclosure, my phone is jail broken and I do have backgrounder installed, but I have been very careful not to activate it or any other heavy usage device. I've also been trying to soft reset the phone by using the power off/home trick from time to time.

Anyway, my 3gs has been running fine since day one. Yesterday I took it from a full charge is was down to 50% almost in an hour of standby. I tried powering on and off as well with no luck. The indicator is going haywire, jumping up, then down, etc... so I let it drain all the way down (and it did shut down much quicker than normal so the battery is listening to the indicator) and gave it a fresh charge and now I'm having the same issues once again.

I'd welcome any and all ideas as I'd really prefer not to start fresh with a new restore if possible as I've spent a lot of time getting this device just the way I want it, but I guess I will if I have to.

Thanks!

5. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Same here! I just fixed my WiFi issue, now the battery indicator is all over the map! This OS is the worst!

6. wolvesboy macrumors newbie

Had my 3GS since it came out. Had no battery issues since the first couple of days when I really hammered the usage!

But from it has died on me yesterday and today on both occassions going from 100% to 0 and shutting down in about 5 hours. It almost seems as though something on the phone is running but I don't know what. I've done all the usual things - turned off 3G, turned off location services, turned of bluetooth etc but problem seems to remain. At one stage today I turned off the phone with about 8 % left so that I could use what little juice was left to make a call later - but it wouldn't start up - so it felt like the battery was further drained even when off!

I'm recharging now and see what tommorow brings but other than that it looks like a trip to see a genius.