3GS: Bizarre home button behaviour

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by idealist11, Mar 20, 2011.

1. idealist11, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

idealist11 macrumors newbie

Has anyone experienced this?

My iPhone 3GS home button needs to be pushed hard / held / pressed at the edges / sworn at / pleaded with / whatever it takes, to operate while in my house. This is despite it having been replaced twice.

OTOH, if I'm out of the house; in the car, at the mall, or ANYWHERE else, it operates perfectly normally.

Any ideas?
    :)
    Mike

PS. My housemate has an identical phone, and has no problems whatsoever.

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Are you wearing oven mitts when at home ? that might be the problem..

other than that, cant think of any environmental reason the home button would cease to work in one location but not another.

but, try this

when at home, disable wi-fi , reboot phone, leave wi-fi off, has this solved the issue...

if not, try airplane mode and restart the phone again.

its the only thing i can think "Might" be an issue.

3. idealist11 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, no oven mitts... :)

I did both of those things, and now it's more consistent, inasmuch as I now only need to hold the button down for a second or two and it works.

But an iPhone with no wifi and in airplane mode is just an expensive iPod... :)

Thanks anyway, :) Mike

I have just re-enabled everything and it's still the same (ie, hold the button down for a second or two).

I should mention that if I'm constantly using the phone, the problem to some extent goes away, but if I leave it alone an hour or so, it comes back.

weird! :confused:

4. idealist11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just purchased a second-hand iphone from ebay, and it works just fine.

So now I have an iphone and an ipod... :)

Mike