3GS Broken - what will Genius replace with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dealmaker, May 31, 2011.

1. dealmaker macrumors regular

So my youngsters iPhone 3GS 32GB is broken - home button stopped working (phone is mint otherwise -) . I assume they wont try to repair it ? (or will they?)

Will the Apple genius offer to replace it with a new/or refurbished 3GS for 139 pounds (as I've heard in other cases)??

...if so - I see that they currently only offer an 8GB 3GS - so how will they replace a (nearly full) 32GB unit with an 8GB unit ?- or do they keep stock of older 32GB 3GS models "out the back" in case of these issues??

Appreciate any heads up so know what to expect when we go in there!

Thanks

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

They keep stock of the older 3GS models, 3G models and in some stores they even have the original iPhone in stock. Depending on whether or not it's still in warranty they'll either ask you pay the out-of-warranty fee or replace it for you. They generally don't do repairs but sometimes will. If your phone model isn't in stock they'll order one for you. Very rarely the Genius may upgrade you to the 4 if there's no current stock of your model.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Before you take it back to Apple, I have one suggestion:

If you're decent at taking apart iPhones, buy a new home button flex cable on eBay for about 6 US dollars. You have to remove the digitizer glass to be able to replace the home button/flex and it's a pretty hard and lengthy process, but it sure beats the hell out of a $200 replacement.

If that's a little too in-depth for you, you can also get entire LCD/digitizer assemblies for about $50 on eBay. These are VERY easy to install and there are many tutorials on YouTube to help you along the way.

If your phone is out of warranty, these are some things to consider before taking it to Apple!

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

They'll replace it with an iPhone 5.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I thought they'd replace it with a Samsung Galaxy S2. :confused:

6. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Have you tried anything to get the button working again? Compressed air? Rubbing alcohol?

I had some intermittent trouble with the home button on my 4. Turned the phone off, soaked a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and pressed it onto the home button and let the alcohol seep into the edges of the button and just repeatedly pressed the home button. I gave it proper time to dry out, started it up and haven't had any trouble with the home button since then.

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

This I would not do.

8. ikaveh macrumors regular

They still have original iPhone for replacement, they will definitely have iPhone 3GS in all colors and capacities refurbished waiting for you, and there is no way to give you even different color or capacity

9. err404 macrumors 68020

It should be OK so long as you don't over due it. Remember, he is willing to have the phone replaced anyway. Worse case he is out $200 for the the replacement.

10. err404 macrumors 68020

One other thing; the phone is out of warranty. If they do not have an exact match, they have no obligation to replace it at all.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

How do you know it's out of warranty?
    He could have bought an extended warranty and in some countries, they are longer by law.

12. JASApplications macrumors 65816

A friend of mine's 3Gs broke and he got a replacement iPhone 4 because there were no other 3Gs' in stock but that is a very rare occurrence but it can happen!

13. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

So I've just sent my 16gb iphone 3g in for repair is it fair to assume that I will get a new/ refurbished 3g back if they dont repair it?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    That is correct, white iphone 5 that is.

If its out of warranty it doesnt matter if they have one in stock they usually dont replace it.

15. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

ure friend is lucky!

My Brothers 3GS had cracked at the back, and my local apple store didn't have any, so they used a same day carrier to collect one from another store

16. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

WHY!!!

Rubbing Alchohol is perfectly safe to use on electronics. It has no mineral so it will not conduct electricity therefore will not cause harm to any components. In fact, many people dont know this but you can submerge an electronic device into distilled water and it will still work. Since water itself does not conduct it is the minerals such as sodium. Distilled water and alchohol are both mineral free and safe.

I use alchohol all the time to clean PCB boards.

17. err404 macrumors 68020

You're right. I was assuming that it was out of warranty based on OP's willingness to pay for the repair.
    But he may simply not be aware that Apple would cover that issue.

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You sure about that? I heard through a customer service rep at AT&T that they're only going to produce the transparent iPhone 5. But then again, I can see where some people would call that white if it were sitting on paper.
    Ok, nevermind. :p

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're probably right.
    Its so transparent I heard that sometimes you cant even see it:D

20. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Are you sure you're not thinking of the iPhone 7GSx model?

21. jb86 macrumors newbie

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's so transparent it's actually called the iPhone 7gsXXX

23. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

That's totally right. I received an official email from Apple with pictures of the iPhone 5 in transparent mode. It even has an sliding keyboard!

24. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Tsk tsk, you boys are so far behind. I've got the iPhone 8S. It's only a prototype but Apple gave it to me out of sympathy when I showed them my iPhone 4 that I deliberately ran over with my truck when I was pissed drunk.

In all seriousness though, OP: If it's under warranty, you're going to get the same phone in every single way, unless they're out of your specific model, in which they may give you a higher storage capacity. Always the same color though, I'm almost positive. I believe the same rules apply for an OOW replacement.