3GS - Bubbles under screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jay26, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jay26 macrumors member

I was having a hard time last night putting on a screen protector, so I decided to use a flashlight to make sure there were no dust particles on the screen. To my surprise, I came across an unrelated issue.

With the flashlight, I was able to identify two marks under the screen towards the top-left part of the phone. The two marks look roundish and bubble-like. The marks can only be seen when under direct light, such as a flashlight or bright lamp. I made an appointment today at the Genius Bar so they can look at it. Also, the phone is not water damaged.

Anyone else have/had this issue?

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Never seen that but I'd take it in.

3. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

They aren't bubbles they are sensors, there's actually 3 of them.

4. Jay26 thread starter macrumors member

My wife has an iPhone 3GS, as well. I checked her phone under the light and these marks were not present.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

While I agree that it is a problem if in a comparison test your Wife's 3Gs did not have the same defect, you may have a tough time convincing the "Geniuses."

"Well, you see, I was shining a flash light in this exact spot, at this exact angle, and if the stars and planets are aligned ever so correctly, you can see a fait bubble or two under my screen."

"Sir, thats within spec, also here is some tin foil."

Just messing with you OP. You've got a legitimate concern. Go check it out and let us know how it goes.

Is there any way you can post pics btw?

6. Jay26 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the levity!

Unfortunately, I am unable to take pictures as I am at work without a camera.

7. DrunkenMunky macrumors member

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Read the whole thread. There were only 6 whole posts before you. Not that difficult.:
    Im pretty sure if it were sensors, he would see the same marks on his wife's phone.

9. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

I have the same sensors on my 3GS, all appear dark red in the correct light and are all the same circumference and perfectly round. So on my 3GS at least I am confident that they are not bubbles.

One is an ambient light sensor and the other two are proximity sensors.

Also, see this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729969

10. Jay26 thread starter macrumors member

Upon further review, you are absolutely correct. I took a flashlight at work and reviewed the marks again. Thanks for your contribution and for saving me a trip to the Genius Bar. I will check my wife's phone when I return home, but I'm assuming I did not have her phone in the correct light while reviewing it for the marks.

Thanks again, and I apologize for the redundant thread.