Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've just read a review of the new Samsung Omnia HD on the register where they gave it an 85% rating based partly on the fact it does HD recording and has an 8MP camera.
However, if you look at the sample photos in the review, they are absolutely atrocious quality, and the video is poorly exposed and very jerky. I thought I'd do a quick comparison so took my 3GS into the garden and took a quick shot. I've attached a 100% crop from one of the sample pictures on the register (the pillar box), and from my 3GS (the wall) and IMO the picture from the 3GS looks better.
Neither phone will be able to replace a "real" camera (I've added one taken with my FZ28, which is a decent 10MP P&S for comparison: It's also of the wall, but has FZ28 in the bottom corner!), but I think it emphasises the fact that people should not get too hung up on megapixel counts - it's not always true that more is better!

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 229
  • samsung.jpg
    samsung.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 197
  • camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 173

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Yeah the camera is really good when it wants to be. I took this picture that I was pretty stoked about.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 286

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
There was nothing much wrong with the original 3G camera. :)

It definitely had it's fun factor, but the images sucked. the focus was off, fun distortions etc...

It was much like having a Lomo or a Holga camera ... those are fun a quirky too.

hewsthat

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2006
it's no DSLR, but it's handy.

For someone who loves taking pictures, it's pretty handy, when i don't have another camera on me. Not to mention there are some pretty handy photo editing applications in the app store.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
The best camera is the one in your pocket!!

The megapixel race has afflicted point and shoot cameras for some time and has clearly exceeded the resolving power of the lenses on them and generally makes more noise in photos. I'd far prefer the future iphone iterations to have things like a flash or optical zoom (like those older cameras that had a zoom without requiring a protruding lens) than for apple to continue increasing the MP count.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I have an SLR, and a fairly good point and shoot, but I haven't brought them with me since I got the 3G S.

I used to be all about taking my bigger, better cameras with me everywhere.

But honestly, with the 3G S I have so much fun with it. Even if it's less MP and it's not premium optics/sensors, you can have so much fun if you're creative.

I've seen a lot of amateurs with SLR's get out performed by someone wielding a 3 megapixel camera or even a Lomo (it's not the equipment, it's the photographer that makes amazing images.)

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
I have an SLR, and a fairly good point and shoot, but I haven't brought them with me since I got the 3G S.

I used to be all about taking my bigger, better cameras with me everywhere.

But honestly, with the 3G S I have so much fun with it. Even if it's less MP and it's not premium optics/sensors, you can have so much fun if you're creative.

I've seen a lot of amateurs with SLR's get out performed by someone wielding a 3 megapixel camera or even a Lomo (it's not the equipment, it's the photographer that makes amazing images.)

Ya but you wont be taking any good pics at night, no light or bad lighting, and the iphone camera sucks. Needs A Flash!!!

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
It's getting there. All I want now is a way to change the white-balance to offset indoor lighting.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Obviously, but i would never get rid of my normal camera just for my iphone like the guy above!

I haven't got rid of anything, I just don't bring it everywhere I go, but when the occasion calls, I will put on my gear and break my back for a day or night.

My back isn't as excited as it once was to carry around 20 pounds(minimum) of equipment for several hours.

To carry a half pound phone around that serves me in almost every way makes me happy.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
Outdoors on a well lit, preferably sunny day = nice shots with the 3GS.

Anything less looks pretty grainy like a high ISO setting on a dedicated camera (for instance, my Canon XSi). But again, it's a phone first, PDA / mini computer second, and camera 3rd. And it's good for those times when you didn't bring your camera out with you... because the unexpected can happen at any time! But it's not replacing any of my 'real' digital cameras (even an 8 year old camera) when I know I'm going somewhere where I want to take pictures.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
I must say I'm very impressed with the quality of the camera, not quite as good as a dedicated camera of course, but surprisingly decent for a phone, the video is also remarkably good for a phone, overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The best camera is the one in your pocket!!

The megapixel race has afflicted point and shoot cameras for some time and has clearly exceeded the resolving power of the lenses on them and generally makes more noise in photos. I'd far prefer the future iphone iterations to have things like a flash or optical zoom (like those older cameras that had a zoom without requiring a protruding lens) than for apple to continue increasing the MP count.

Agreed on both counts!

I'm currently looking for a new, small point & shoot camera to keep in the car. I'm dismayed to discover that they've gone up to 14 megapixel on a sensor a fraction the size of my thumbnail.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I got the 3GS a few weeks ago, replacing my N95 8GB.

I love the iPhone, but am dissapointed with the camera, especially since moving from my N95. I knew the limitations before buying the iPhone, so knew not to expect much from the camera.

However, the quality of the shots I've taken outdoors in great light conditions, are worse than from my old 3.2mp camera in my SE K800i from a few years ago. That had a fantastic lens, and pictures from that are much sharper than what I get from the iPhone, with a brilliant Xenon flash.

Oh well, I knew what I was getting - so I'm not blasting the iPhone - just still dissapointed Apple can't get it's act together and use a camera lens that gets sharp images, even at 3mp.

cosmaboy

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
i got to be honest and say i think the camera is really good. had the previous two iPhones and i think the 3Gs is much better and the quality of video's is great as well.

yes if you have a dlr in your pocket use that! likewise if you have a hi def camcorder you'd use that! but when you've got a phone, Ipod, radio, gps, camera, camcorder, pmp, etc etc... all rolled into one, i don't think the quality matters!! it's getting better with every release and i'm lovely it! hope other people are too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.