3GS Camera for Large Prints?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chainprayer, Dec 19, 2010.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

We are having trouble with our regular digital camera and need to take some pictures for a gift. How well will pictures taken with the 3GS in good light come out on a 8x10 print?

Thanks! :eek: :apple:

2. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

apparently the minimum for a reasonably good 8x10 print is about 2.8 megapixels, and the 3GS has 3.0 megapixels, so it should be of a sufficient resolution, but i cant comment on the actual quality of the picture it's self, i have never used an iPhone before my iPhone 4

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

They aren't gonna be great. The reason camera phone camera's aren't completely replacing point and shoots is because of the fact that there is little room to allow light to reach the aperature. iPhone 4 semi-fixed this by adding HDR photography, which take 3 photos (one a -1 exposure, one at +1 exposure and one at normal exposure) and combines them. The iPhone 3GS takes decent pictures for it's use, but it's not going to look professional. If you're just putting it on the family christmas card it should work fine thought.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

As noted, it's a very small sensor and the dynamic range is limited. Even with HDR apps, it's not really gaining much.

However, depending on how you process the image, it could turn out quite nice.

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

As sort of noted above, how are you going to process the image? If you are doing any sort of photoshop work, a simple "Brightness/Contrast" filter could really boost the overall quality of the photo visually.

6. pdqgp, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

here's an example.

[​IMG]

Works with Low Light too.

[​IMG]

Key to processing is depth and perceived lighting. The phone sensor doesn't produce much bokeh, but you can create it. I process thousands of images for my clients. Many come from cheap P&S cameras and cell phones. I actually process more now than I do shoot myself.

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

are you a photographer? very nice, graphic designer here. dontcha just hate us? haha

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm an architect by training, but have been in sales mgt for years now. I do run a photography business as well :) Thanks for the kind words. I don't use my phone much for work obviously, but now and then I snap shots of the kids with my phone. Works pretty well.

Some snaps of my daughter...but not with an iPhone ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My Son

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Cool cool, since you aren't a photographer by training, you don't have to deal with us graphic designers too often. Needless to say, we don't get along too well. We are both "know it alls" haha. I love taking pictures and editing them, and my photography friends always try to tell me how to do it, or what filters to add and i just want to punch them haha.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Small world....was just in Pittsburgh doing a shoot on Friday. Large medical practice needed profile shots done.

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

very nice, I live right near the new consol energy center in downtown. hope all went well. that had to have been a captivating event. haha