3GS compared to mate's blackberry - I was shamed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ss957916, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I mocked my mate's new Blackberry Bold with comments like "Why didn't you get a 3GS?!" So he suggested a test and, when I saw he was on EDGE I knew I'd win.

But I was so wrong! His Blackberry wiped the floor whilst mt iPhone repeatedly just hung on the google page instead of loading the chosen website! It happened four times! His blackberry bold was actually very nifty.

So, having lost miserably, I showed off maps. It took ages to find me and, when it did put the blue dot square in the middle of the Thames! When I turned on the compass, it had that figure of 8 symbol and wouldn't work either!

Did I do the wrong thing buying an iPhone without even considering the competition? This inpromptu test would suggest so.

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Nope you did the right thing... and were just spectacularly unlucky during that lil show-off.

3. LoMonkey macrumors regular

I've found that the iPhone isn't a show-off. Only the people that own one are.

This happens to me all the time when I go to show off a feature to a friend. It won't work. When I got my new 3GS, I was showing my boss how quick it was and the new compass, then my maps crashed. It NEVER crashed before and hasn't crashed since. I figured it was my iPhone's way of telling me to keep it to myself. haha

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The Bold's interface looks unfinished and is hard to find options. I had it for 2 months before selling it on. It's definitely a good phone, but it's not so compatible with Mac when it comes to transferring files. I had to use some 3rd party software that left my files in a mess.

I think you just got unlucky with your penis duel :D

5. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Fact is, your iPhone would blow away his BB any day, you just had a little bad luck that's all.

6. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Were you on the same network? I've had similar problems in the past. I gather that AT&T is pretty poor, as is O2 in the UK when it comes to 3G. Most of the time it simply just doesn't work. If I want to show someone something, I'll switch of 3G 9 times out of 10!

Ultimately, the Blackberry is the better emailing phone, but overall, I find Blackberry's interface confusing and illogical, and I certainly wouldn't want to use it on a daily basis. The iPhone is far nicer! :D

7. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I was in a similar situation but blew the **** out of the black berry, every single test we did to compare them I ended up winning by a landslide!

Let's say there was an Awkward momment at the end from

his part because

he was the one who started the debate :)

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Those tests suggest only that his operator's network is faster than yours. How does this make iPhone worse?

>_>

9. ventmore macrumors 6502

I'm sure the blackberry servers used to optimize all content before it was passed to the handset......that's why they were bearable...even on GPRS.

Whether or not this is still the case, I couldn't tell you :)

10. synagence macrumors 6502a

The OP sounds like he tested the phones indoors, which meant the GPS would have had a several hundred metre margin of error for cell towers, and the magnetometer couldn't lock due to interference (which i have regularly at work due to large building construction and equipment.

I find it better just not to try and show off ... doesn't prove much and generally makes you look like a prat anyway :)

11. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Except, fact is, it didn't.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Aren't you the guy who was complaining about how your GPS was not accurate indoors, and you asserted that GPS doesn't use satellites?

Can't really take anything you say seriously after that :p

13. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

BUSTED!!

/thread end

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

how so?
    seeing as the blackberry bold is exclusive to ATT, its safe to assume they were both on ATT (seeing as the 3GS isn't unlocked yet and I really don't think his buddy had his bold unlocked)

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I had no idea there was a Thames in the USA :)

The Bold is, just, urgh. I blame the driver :)

16. diabolic macrumors 68000

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm so what kind of signal strength did you both have? If he had 4-5 bars edge and you had a shoddy 3G connection then he probably would have beat you. You could have switched your phone back to edge and probably would have won the browser speed test.

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

he said it put him in the middle of thames
    he didn't say it was right

the GPS can be thousands of miles off on occasion. it gets annoying. I live in Michigan, and have been placed in the middle of Nevada, and somewhere in russia before.

19. dlemmon macrumors regular

my wifes curve put us about a mile from our destination yesterday when we were finding a park. I pulled out my iphone and looked on the map and sure enough I found where we were supposed to be gong no problems.

20. weeman macrumors 6502

21. weeman macrumors 6502

Ahahaha. I bet you he's gonna make a new macumors account.

22. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My mate said it was the blackberry bold. Maybe he was confused but I certainly don't know which Blackberrys are available in the UK.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Funny. GPS must be magic I guess. :p

Yep, when you are busted that bad.

Based on this, I am not sure what to make of the OPs original post. I would venture to say that the iPhone would be better at browsing than the BB because of the way pages are rendered.