3GS > Cut SIM to MicroSIM > New iPhone4 - any extra steps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 006, Dec 18, 2010.

1. 006 macrumors newbie

My sister has a 3GS, we bought her an iPhone4 today as a Christmas gift. Xmas lands on a Saturday and the ATT store dude said they will be busy as hell from open to close on Sunday activating all the phones people got for Xmas. He also said it may be a problem activating the phone through ATT's phone activation line (calling in) as they will probably have a crazy amount of people calling in too. So... I have already read everything I can and watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to cut the SIM card, I'm totally fine with doing that and more than capable of handling it. What I want to know is if I cut her SIM down to MicroSIM size and pop it in the iPhone4, do I still need to call and activate anything or will it be good to go once the card is in it? We will sync it to her iTunes, of course, but is that all? She's a really impatient person and having to wait two days after Christmas to get her phone activated will be like torture for her, and we are not going to go stand in line in the wee hours of the morning at ATT to get it activated in-store. Thanks in advance! :)

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can cut it but the iPhone 4 comes with a micro SIM installed (at least mine did). All you should have to do is activate it through iTunes.

4. 006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok, you are right I opened it up and checked it does indeed have a microSIM in the phone already. Also turns out you can activate it through iTunes, double points for you Swede, thanks :)

Is it possible for me to sync the phone without activating it so that when my sister opens it up on Xmas it already has her music/contacts/etc? As in, will it let me skip activation to do the sync and ask me to activate the next time it gets plugged in to the comp?