3GS Death Grip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iammike1, Jun 25, 2010.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

So, today I learned that I can drop my iPhone 3GS from 3-4 bars down to no signal by using the iPhone 4 "Death Grip" (patent pending).

I also used a friends iPhone 4 a lot today and it seemed ordinary to me. Places I don't have to worry about signal, the iPhone 4 did fine. In areas with blah for signal, it seemed just as sensitive as every iPhone I've had (including holding them weird ways so as to keep my hand away from the antenna)

I'm really drawn between what to believe on the issue. No doubt the effect is true...but is this really something all that new?

I'm still going to pick up my iPhone 4 when it gets in and make my own determination while using the phone in my normal day to day activities.

2. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

Same here. When this issue broke Wednesday before I got my phone I read that people were seeing the same thing on their 3gs if they held it at the bottom. I took mine out of the case it was in and sure enough, mine did the same thing.

I figure if the issue has been there with the 3gs all this time without causing me problems it won't be an issue with the 4.

3. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I had a similar experience with my Iphone 3G.

I'm wondering if this has always been an issue with the iPhone, and it just hasn't come to light until now. Maybe all those dropped call problems with the iPhone in the past has simply been people are holding their phones too tightly or in the wrong spot. Could it be that simple?

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You can get all phones to lose signal by impeding the signal reception.

5. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I would almost have to laugh if it was. I was one of those that never had all the problems with calls people complained about with AT&T and I always wondered why.

6. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

That's kinda the overall point I'm making but the closest comparison is iPhone to iPhone.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes, and if you look, I quoted another poster and not yourself.

Good original post BTW.

8. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Oh I wasn't jumping you or anything like that, sorry if it came across that way. I was agreeing with you but just expressing why I didn't specifically mention it in my OP. :D

9. jamonandon macrumors newbie

its exactly the same on my 3G. hold the bottom left corner for 20 seconds and the service goes from full bars to "Searching..."

this is an issue that has been around for years with the iphone.