3GS discharging rapidly while abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alvida, Jul 2, 2011.

1. alvida macrumors newbie

My wife and I are visting India and experiencing a strange problem with our 15month old 3GS phones. On some days the phone discharges rapidly -- from full to zero in a 3-4 hours with no usage. Push, location, wifi, BT, 3G, are all off. This has happened on both our phones -- but not everyday. I've tried manually selecting a local carrier which did not seem to help -- tried Airtel, Vodaphone, Aircell, Tata Docomo, etc. Sync'ing to our PC seemed to help, but today even sycning did not help either of our phones.

Puzzled and frustrated.

Has anyone experienced this? Any idea on causes and/or solutions?

Thx!

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Even though the push setting in general is turned off, is it possible that some of the apps are set to fetch data automatically individually, and if so is it possible that 3G access is being activated for short periods of time at regular intervals? :confused:

Just a shot in the dark...

3. alvida thread starter macrumors newbie

That's one of the possiblities I am considering as well. I have even turned 3G off. And, I uninstalled some apps. THough the ones I uninstalled were not on my wife's phone which also has the problem.

I was also wondering if it also had something to do with the carrier and the phone constantly seaching and/or swithching carriers automatically.

B

4. alvida thread starter macrumors newbie

The fast discharge occurs even when I put it on airplane mode. REally puzzled...
    :(

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

What about differences in the temperature around you? Is the Indian climate drastically different from where you usually use your phone? Not sure how much that will affect a battery, but it's the only other thing I can think of. :(

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would say it was the 30-35'c heat.

7. alvida thread starter macrumors newbie

It's cooler here than in Sacramento -- currently 87-93F during the day and ~65F in the evening. A bit humid as it is raining.