3gs DIY battery replace

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stjric, Oct 10, 2011.

1. stjric macrumors newbie

I have decided that I am going to miss out the 4s and stick with my 3gs until the iPhone5. Only issue is my battery life. I have owned it since day 1 in June09 so is well over two years old now and it lasts just about a day so long as I don't really use it too much and keep most of the cool things on it turned off.

I am looking at doing a battery replace myself (and might put a new OEM back on it too while I have it open as is only a few more steps) to freshen it up again.

I have found a few guides so I should be fine with the procedure, but my question is which battery to buy.

I have found a few batteries that are (or claim to be) original Apple 1219mAh that I could buy (about £35) but have seen some batteries advertised as being 1600mAh and wondered if anyone had any experience of fitting these in a 3gs. I obviously want to fit the best battery I can.

Can anyone recommend any particular batteries (and also a good place to get the new OEM iphone-backs from too that would show all of the same details as mine - 32gb, a1303, fcc id, ic id, etc)?

Any advice/comment would be appreciated on either area.

Many thanks in advance.

(Based in UK)

2. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I replaced my battery with a £4.50 one on ebay, which came with the tools, it claimed to be the same mAH as the apple one, and it certainly lasts 30-40% more than the original iPhone battery was lasting after 2 1/2 years. Just because some batteries say they are a larger 1600 mAh, doesn't mean they are ;), the only way to squeeze the extra is to make the battery physically larger, and there is not much space in there in the first place.
    If you are getting a replacement back, try to get one that is more than just white plastic, i.e has the lens cover and chrome bezel on it, as this will make life much easier. Again I got mine on ebay

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I replaced my 3G battery with one from eBay. It was a little tricky but doable. Price was about 6 bucks.

4. stjric thread starter macrumors newbie

guess i'll risk ebay then

think i'll go for a cheapy off ebay then and give it a go - hope it won't fry my phone :s

thanks for the replies guys

appreciated