3gs...do I need activation to run jailbreakme?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CrAkD, Aug 1, 2010.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

So I tried to update my 3gs from a JB 3.1.3. to 4.0.1. to jailbreak and unlock to sell it. However it hangs at the activation part. (has my old full size sim in it still). I can use the phone and get to jailbreakme.com but it just gos to the purple background. so im wondering if that has to do with the fact I never got the "iphone is activated" msg? I ordered one of those mini sim to full sim adapters but its coming from hong kong so itll be awhile. anyone know how I can get this going? I figure maybe jailbreakme is still slammed so I'll try again tomorrow. but ive done both of my 4's a few times tonight fixing facetime and they worked first try.

2. The General macrumors 601

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have access to safari. have access to everything just says no service (using wifi for safari)

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Then it's activated... Incorrect terminology get's you the incorrect answer. So yes, go to the site and jailbreak away.

Edit: The servers are being hammered that's why it's not working for you. One option, wait for it to calm down a bit.

5. nima2007 macrumors newbie

No

You can still access safari using a non activated phone so you can jailbreak

6. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I dont know about that. for some reason when I restored to 4.0.1. it still had all my apps and stuff yet the msg "waiting for activation" was on the screen the whole time. I wanted all my stuff gone (im selling it) so I used the "erase all content" from settings to get rid of everything. when it came back on the message "waiting for activation this could take awhile" came back but I had full access to the phone. never said "iphone activated" once.

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

You can't get into a non-activated phone

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok you're good then.
    Just go to the site to JB and install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock.
    If you can get thru cause of all the traffic right now the JB site and cydia is very slow and times out alot.

9. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

The fact that you got past the emergency call screen means you've activated the phone. Apple's servers just take a long time sometimes to allow you to make calls when they're under load.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You didn't restore from a backup did you?

11. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah I'll just try again tomorrow. its weird earlier when it was more of a "peak" time I jailbroke both of my iphone 4's acouple times each no problem. now that its 1am I keep getting just the purple wallpaper after sliding everytime.

12. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I don't think so. But now that im thinking about it. I May have "upgraded" instead of restored. which is why it had all my apps.

13. myvoip07 macrumors member

Only upgrade option will keep all your apps. Restore will definately cleanup everything on your iPhone and will restore new iOS.

14. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I wonder if thats why I always had full access to the phone even before it activated?

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

After you upgrade you have the option to restore from a backup for set up as new. The former will put all "your" stuff back on it.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure what you did but even with a restore or update you always have to activate the iphone before it lets you into the homescreen.
    I dont know what these people are saying restore from backup or upgrade.
    With an unactivated iphone you will not get that far into itunes to do any of that.

17. myvoip07 macrumors member

I Just restored my 3gs with at&t non activated sim card and i have full access to iphone even though it said no service and waiting for iphone activation. Using wifi i was able to access the jb site but not it is giving me an oops error saying the apps crashed, please try again and getting that blank screen.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can get into the homescreen with any AT&T sim even old unactivated ones.
    Then JB and install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock.
    Be patient, the site is getting loads of traffic.

19. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

should i upgrade my iPhone 4 to 4.0.1 first??

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont have to.
    It wont make a difference.

21. myvoip07 macrumors member

I just restored my 3gs to 4.0.1 and i had full access to it even though the at&t sim card inside it wasn't activated. It did popup a mesg saying activating iphone but never completed the activation.

22. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

[​IMG]

just so people see im not using "wrong terminology" haha. After I took that I slid to unlock and uploaded it with the photobucket app haha.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will always work with any AT&T sim and get passed the connect to itunes lockscreen.
    Even with old inactive at&T sims.