3gs downgrade from a 4.1 to 4.0. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sallymomo, Oct 7, 2010.

1. sallymomo macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I am trying to buy a Iphone 3gs on craigslist. It is not unlocked and jailbroken and the guy says its running 4.1 on it. I need it unlocked and jailbroken cuz I have tmobile. However a friend said that u can't jailbreak 4.1. So I was wondering if I can downgrade to 4.0 something (which does have jailbreak out). Now since the phoen doesnt have cydia or antyhing like that...how do I go about doing this?? Do I downgrade first and then jailbreak/unlock it...or what exactly should I do?? Or should I just look for phones that have 4.0 running on it?
    Please help. I am totally new to all this.
    Thanks

2. Sheyar macrumors member

From what I know you cannot downgrade unless you have your SHSH on file by cydia, and since it isn't jailbroken I doubt that you can downgrade. Not sure though.

3. mrathee macrumors 6502

You can't - you have to wait for Greenpois0n to be released to be able to JB 4.1

You can either buy it and wait for find a phone with 4.0 on it.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Even if you could downgrade and JB it, you still can't unlock the phone. The baseband controls the unlock possibility and they can't be downgrade even if you downgrade the OS firmware.

5. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You don't have to be jailbroken to have your SHSHs on file with Cydia and/or stored on your local computer (look into Tiny Umbrella: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/)

But, unless you have your SHSH files store on Cydia's server or some other computer of your own, no, you cannot downgrade.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    And even if you JB the new 4.1 we're not sure if they will also release an unlock any time soon.

7. macrazee macrumors regular

Greenp0is0n and SHAtter are for "4" series devices ONLY -- won't work for the 3GS so you're out of luck until the Dev Team comes up with something.

8. sallymomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. So if I am buying a 3gs off of craigslist...what version do I need to make sure it has so that I can unlock and jailbreak it?? 3.0 or something?? Or if I buy a 4.0 and its not jailbroken or unlocked then will I be able to unlock/jailbreak it??

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

3GS OS 4.0.1 or below and baseband 5.13 or below. 3.0 would be the best since the unlock for that 4.26 baseband has hardly any issue.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The latest version that can be JB and unlocked is 4.0.1
    So 4.0.1 or below.
    4.0.2 or 4.1 is a no go.
    If you get anything below 4.0.1 then make sure the seller doesnt restore or do a "erase all content and settings" before he ships it to you.

11. sallymomo thread starter macrumors newbie

But if he doesn't have it jailbroken or unlocked then would the restoring or erasing mess anything up??

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it would mess up everything and will be stuck with 4.1

13. ae6dx macrumors newbie

So just to clarify there is no way to jailbreak a 3gs with 4.1. Is that correct?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That correct. Nothing at the moment.

15. hyteckit Guest

You can downgrade from 4.1 to 4.0 and then jailbreak it.

However, your baseband cannot be downgrade to an earlier version, so you can't unlock it.

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

You can only downgrade the OS if you have SHSH blobs from that device already on file for earlier firmware versions. Otherwise, you cannot downgrade at all. No SHSH = no downgrade = no JB at this time

17. sallymomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you guys think that there will be a jailbreak available for the 4.1 on the 3gs soon?? How fast do these jailbreaks come?? The thing is that I am getting a really good price on this 3gs phone...but the only thing is that it upgraded 4.1...so if they will have a hack for it in a couple of weeks then I can just buy it and wait for it...but if its takes a while...then I'd rather lose out on this deal and get somethign that I know will work. What has past experience been like with this kind of thing??

18. hyteckit Guest

Well, I downgraded my iPhone 3G from 4.1 to 3.1.3.

No SHSH stuff to mess with.

19. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The original iPhone and 3G don't have the same security setup as the 3GS and iPhone 4. The OP wants to buy a 3GS, what you did will not work on their phone.

To the OP--the latest tweets from the various Devs last night indicate they haven't found the exploits they need to JB the 3GS on 4.1, and definitely not to unlock it. When they find an exploit, it's usually a matter of weeks until JB (though it's typically more than a couple weeks). Without an exploit already found, if you need a JB and especially an unlock, the phone you are looking at isn't a good deal in my mind. There are plenty of hackable phones out there for sale.

My .02 only, YMMV.

20. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Happy for you. To bad, we are talking about a 3GS in this thread.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It looks like the next JB will be for iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4G.
    But not for 3GS iphones yet.
    And when the JB comes we dont know if they have another unlock exploit so you might have it laying around and not be able to use it on unofficial carrier.
    A new JB doesnt mean a new unlock.