3GS Erase All Data and Setting - Apple Logo Boot Stuck

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by solarguy17, Jun 27, 2010.

1. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

I'm probably gonna get flamed, but here goes.

I have a 32 3GS that I jailbroke with Spirit for 3.1.3. I got my new iP4 and wanted to reset the phone with out getting away from 3.1.3 (so I could rejailbreak super easy for sale). I did "Reset all Data and Settings" under the settings menu.

From what I understand, this would erase all music, videos, email accounts, texts, ect and also erase everything from the JB, themes, apps, mods, ect.
    Basically reset it back to 3.1.3 stock, without using iTunes.

I was under the impression this would take somewhere between 1 - 2 hrs. But the Apple logo and Progress Bar showed up, the Bar filled up after a minute or two and the phone restarted. It then sat at the Apple logo for over 10 minutes before I noticed.

I assumed it was "bricked" and attempted to go into DFU mode. When I would hold down the SLeep and Home buttons the Apple Logo would disappear and phone would turn off, but then immediately attempt to restart without me doing anything. So DFU button combo didn't do anything, I also tried Recovery mode to no avail.

Is sitting at the Apple Boot Logo forever supposed to be part of this process?

Anything else I can do?

I am thinking of letting the batt just die completely and recharging it and hoping that will break the endless reboot so I can DFU or Recovery mode the thing.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You understood or thought wrong.
    The Reset all Data and Settings option deletes everything on the phone including the OS.
    Not just your music and jB stuff, every single thing. The only way to bring the phone back to life is restore it to official firmware 4.0 unless you have your SHSH's saved in order to be able to restore back to 3.1.3

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Erase all content and settings does just that, erases all content and settings including the OS. Now you have to put the phone into DFU mode and restore the iPhone to put the OS back on it.

Try connecting the phone to iTunes now and see if it will restore.

4. solarguy17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well crap....if thats the case then why does it look like its trying to start instead of showing the "connect to itunes" screen.

Thats was confusing me most of all.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It is trying to start but theres no operating system to load to :D

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's right. A computer will do the same thing if you insert a blank HD with no OS on it. It will try to start and then fail because well... you know.