3gs External Speaker Caput?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vtmedic, Apr 14, 2011.

1. vtmedic macrumors newbie

hi all and thank you in advance for your help. i have a 32g 3gs whose external speaker appears to have given up the ghost. no ringtones,alerts,music not audible unless headphones plugged in. i've tried a hard reset,restore as well with no luck. i am thinking of ordering a replacement charging port/speaker/mic and attempting the repair myself. have any of you done this and can you recommend a reputable vendor to buy the parts from? prices seem to vary greatly. again, thanks in advance and have a great day!

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

More than likely it's the headphone jack. Have you tried blowing out any dirt and pushing the plug in and out a few time? Might fix it. :cool:

3. vtmedic thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply. i have tried pushing the plug in and out a few times without success. i haven't tried any air yet. i'll give it a shot. that would be much cooler than performing surgery on the phone.

4. JasonHD macrumors regular

just turn the volume up. am i missing something?

5. vtmedic thread starter macrumors newbie

not on mute. volume is up. no sound from external speaker of phone.

6. JasonHD macrumors regular

hold home button down for 12 seconds then press the lock button 4 times within 5 seconds. it should beep and reset the speaker.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

8. vtmedic thread starter macrumors newbie

the speaker i'm referring to is on the bottom of the phone. the ear speaker works fine. still no luck......

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The ear speaker is only used for the phone functions. Everything else is controlled by software and can be shut off by the headphone jack when the headphones are inserted. A bad headphone jack can cause the problem. :(