3GS goes "dead" at 25%-30% battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rosemary1, Oct 2, 2011.

1. rosemary1 macrumors regular

I don't let my battery run down this low very often, but I've noticed recently that when it gets down to somewhere between 25%-30% it goes dead as if it's at 0%. When I plug it in, the Apple screen comes on and 5-10 minutes later it powers up again with the battery showing somewhere between 30%-35%. Any ideas as to what's up and is there any way to make it not do this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like a dead cell. You'll need to replace the battery.

3. rosemary1 thread starter macrumors regular

Bummer... although I hope to replace it with a new new iPhone within the month. :)

4. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

Replaced your battery will fix your problem, or try to Hard Reset your iPhone, Hold Down Home and Power Button until Apple Logo Appear

5. rosemary1 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. That was the first thing I tried and it did no good.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Take it in to an Apple store! battery swap is only $80 plus your 3GS of course. They will give you a refurbished one.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Free if you have applecare still. Definitely talk to apple first to get your options. Even if you are upgrading and sell your old phone selling a brand new swap will net a higher price.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap, but I'm sure he doesn't have Apple Care.

9. rosemary1 thread starter macrumors regular

1) I'm a she. 2) No Applecare. 3) I bought my 3GS on launch day over two years ago, so I've been itching for the new iPhone announcement because I really want to replace my phone (even though it is in otherwise perfect working condition). $80 for a new battery isn't worth it for me at this point. I just wanted to know if this was anything I could fix on my end. Thank you for everyone's input. :)