3GS got wet. New screen installed. Still Dim. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SinistrV6, Aug 11, 2011.

1. SinistrV6 macrumors newbie

This is my wife's old 3GS that she drowned a couple of months ago. I tried all the tricks that I could find, but no matter what I did, it would function properly but the screen is so dim that you can only see the icons in direct sunlight.

So....I bought a new screeen (and Home button) and installed them. No response at all the first time. Then, after disconnecting the battery momentarily and reassembling, it powered up. Unfortunately, the new display is as dim as the old one.:mad:

Is there something else I could try, or should I just write this one off as a loss?

Thanks in advance,
    Richard

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Did you replace just the glass or the actual display. You may need to replace the display and not just the glass.

3. SinistrV6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I replaced the display. Not just the digitizer.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what happens with water damage and playing the guessing game with what parts shorted out or didnt.
    It can end up costing more than getting a replacement from Apple.

5. SinistrV6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think I put about $30 in this attempted repair. Couldn't get a replacement. It was looong out of warranty and Jailbroken.

So what would be next? Motherboard?

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

That's why. Cheap parts never end well. You may need to upgrade by the time you pay for the repairs. You could try the mobo though.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Sometimes its just time to let it go to Apple heaven !

Lay it to rest and after mourning go out and get a nice new shiny one or a refurb from an apple store !

Once water hits the internals it oxidizes and even if the phone responds after drying out these water damaged parts tend to start failing after a period of time.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

If you restore it, you still may be able to get the $199 replacement from Apple. I guess it just depends on your goal......