3GS GPS Issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rendez2k, Sep 20, 2009.

1. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

I've had my doubts for a few weeks of the proper functioning of my GPS so today I decided to do a little test. I put my wifes 3G running CoPilot in the car alongside my 3GS running Navigon. The 3G never dropped signal once on a 1hr drive. The Navigon on the 3GS was dropping signal every few mins.

So then I tried running CoPilot on mine. While it wasn't losing signal to the extent of Navigon, it was clearly struggling - it kep re-evaluating the route and going around roundabouts it was almost like it didn't know which was we were facing where in contrast it was working great on the 3G knowing exactly where we were at all times.

I then tried one last thing - going back to Navigon, I reset my network settings which I'd read can help? Fot he last 10 mins Navigon didn't drop its signal once but having it working for 10 mins doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Is all this normal, to have such widely different experiences between devices? Are there any other tips and tricks to test?

Edit: Both phones running 3.0 but the 3GS is jailbroken where as the 3G isn't if that makes a difference?

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Yes.

Go read the manual: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

3. rendez2k thread starter macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Isn't it just apple scare tactics to stop people jailbreaking? Or is it fact that JBing directly affects network and GPS signal?

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

If you have an un-broken iPhone 3G and the GPS works normal then why your broken iPhone 3GS GPS is not normal ?

Is it because it's hacked or is it because your old iPhone's has superior GPS hardware then the new one ?

I mean... cum on... why don't you admit it is because it's (jail)broken ? :mad:

I have an un-jailbroken iPhone 3GS and i have all the GPS apps (Navigon + TomTom + Sygic + iGo + CoPilot) installed on both (iPhone OS 3.1 + iTunes 9). Yes i paid for them and i never had GPS reception problems.

5. rendez2k thread starter macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Or I could just have a faulty 3GS? Either way, I shall be restoring to 3.1 soon so I'll be testing again. I've been using Motion-X Lite to test the two phones and the 3G gets a lock much quicker and holds it better than the 3GS. Any other 3GS jailbreakers care to comment on their sat nav experiences? Lookign around the apple forums, it appears I'm not the only 3GS owner with GPS issues although most don't state if they are JB or not.

PS. Thats a lot of Sat Nav apps!

6. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

I have a similar issue with my 32GB 3GS.

BOTH 3,0 jailbreaked AND 3.1 cannot lock the signal and the blue dot has not by any mean the vibrating circle wich updates the signal...

i think is an hw issue...

here is what i m talking about...unfortunately

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Make sure you don't have a case on the 3GS as well. Some cases cause mess with it. My gets a lock really quickly so something is up for sure.

8. rendez2k thread starter macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Well, I took my 3GS back to the apple store and they replaced it for me with what looked like a new phone (well, I hope it was anyway!). Tried various GPS tests with it and it looks like its working great now. The genius guy said that the new GPS apps have highlighted issues with a small number of phones which otherwise people probably wouldn't have noticed.

9. dread macrumors 6502a

my non-jailbroken 3gs was replaced because the gps would never find a signal. The new one works ok most of the time. It seems after the 3.1 update it locks much quicker.

10. pete9976 macrumors newbie

Mine is taking forever to acquire a lock. I downloaded Navigon the other day but unfortunately it's almost un-usable because of the lack of signal. Going to the Apple store tomorrow.

11. marrykonta macrumors newbie

RE:3GS GPS Issue?

Hi rendez2k,

Well,I agree that it is not as good as a stand alone, but it's not a stand alone. The iPhone does a lot of thing very well, a few things good, and then still has more features that most people won't use. I would like to think that most people that own the phone will be very competent with Google maps and be able to use it to get where they are going. Remember, this is a PHONE.

Thanks

12. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

GPS - Call Dropped Problems for iPhone 3G

About a few months ago, my iPhone 3G starting having a terrible time getting a GPS lock. The cell-phone tower triangulation works but I would always see a medium sized light blue static circle (non-pulsing) no matter where I was.

Navigon is a complete waste of $100 because it obviously needs more than triangulation to give directions.

I've also been getting a TON of dropped calls about the same time, so the two might be related.

I've reinstalled the firmware and I have NO extra apps installed, and still get the same GPS/dropped call issues. I'm taking it to the Apple store tomorrow and going to ask for a replacement (wish me luck)

I'll post what happened here when I get back.

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It doesn't need traingulation at all. If your GPS functions, (which yours doesn't due to hardware) then it has no problems giving directions. :rolleyes: Just because your hardware is broken doesn't mean the software is useless.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I agree 100%!

I love how people blame software when it is the hardware.

S-

15. bigbadneil macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

get this warning when I start my mobile maps on my 3GS jailbroken iPhone
    How do I switch the GPS connection back on????

Attached Files: