3GS GPS work as good as my Garmin?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 8, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I wonder if 3GS GPS will work as good as my Garmin nuvi in an actual drive.

If yes, I will have to return my Garmin and go for 3GS.

Any thoughts or guesses?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That you'll have to wait for some hands on tests. I'm sure same gadget site will have portable GPS units, 3G and 3GS iPhone for comparison.

I personally think with the addition of the compass the GPS will be stellar; only time will tell.

3. vilasgn macrumors regular

Has anyone ever felt that the GPS on 3G iPhone is inadequate for turn-by-turn directions?

I have always felt that the GPS on my 3G iphone is not "accurate/consistent" enough to use for turn-by-turn directions.

I always wondered, after Apple decided to put GPS on iPhone, why it put less powered GPS. (correct me if I am wrong on this).

Many time I have seen that the iPhone 3G gps accuracy is not good at all and tries to do the catchup with your actual position.

I am not sure whether Apple has put better a GPS hardware in 3GS phone.

On a side note, the GPS app that tomtom has demoed, does it need external GPS hardware or it uses the iPhone's internal GPS hardware?

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

5. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

Well, we know that TomTom will be building hardware that assists the iPhone's GPS into their cradle/dash mount, so what does that tell you?

On it's on, it's decently reliable. But it won't replace your in-car unit by itself.

For daily activities, walking around, etc., the compass will certainly help out quite a bit.

6. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

But will it be good enough that I can avoid buying a Garmin? I'd love to apply the GPS "budget" to an iPhone.

7. vilasgn macrumors regular

To answer your question, it won't replace Garmin GPS but the tom-tom GPS app + iPhone 3GS + Tomtom kit accessory for 3GS will avoid you buying Garmin but then again you will have to pay for tomtom app + accessory kit.

8. MTI macrumors 65816

The Garmin-Asus Android based "Nuviphone" will probably be the device for those wanting a full featured GPS device.

9. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Hmm...

Well, if tom-tom GPS app + tom-tom accessory kit total is less than $50, and it really works as good as my Garmin nuvi does, I will consider returning my Garmin.