3GS help needed! "device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iceybigred, Aug 8, 2010.

1. iceybigred macrumors newbie

last night my 3gs decided to go for a swim in some beer - end result pretty much as expected, the phone went crazy and turned off. ok, so i let it dry and revisiting today. it turns on but the touch screen no longer works (need a digitizer replacement i'm assuming?) and tells me to connect to itunes. i connected and tried to restore but i keep getting this error message:

"the iphone could not be restored. the device isn't eligible for the requested build"

i think it's a firmware issue, i had 3.0 and its trying to update at 3.1. or something like that?

my phone is not jailbroken so i'm not sure what my solutions are here...does anyone have advice on how to fix?

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

nope not firmware.....hardware! your phone could not possibly be dry if this happened last night! if you know what you are doing your phone needs to be taken apart and dried then cleaned. you need to get rid of any beer residue. you need to quit trying to use it or charge it. this just causes further damage

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The problem is Apple is no longer signing 3.1 firmware. The only version you can restore to is 4.0.1

4. iceybigred thread starter macrumors newbie

so there's no solution?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no way to go back to 3.1 or 3.1.3 unless you have your SHSH blobs saved. If you don't know what those are then you don't have them saved. To get your iPhone working again you must update it to 4.0.1.

6. iceybigred thread starter macrumors newbie

given the state my phone is in, how would i update the firmware if it must be restored first.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

before you worry about what firmware is or is not available you need to fix your water damage issue. that is your only problem!!! dont worry about any builds at the moment cause there is no reason you can think of not to upgrade to 4.0.1