3GS help please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by alex020869, Jul 20, 2011.

1. alex020869 macrumors newbie

I am quite a newbie with all this so please go easy with me.

I have a dilemma with my 3GS. I bought it 18 months ago from America already jailbroken using Blackra1n. It has been brilliant up until last month when it stopped working and went into recovery mode. I eventually got it out of it but the only way for it to respond in any computer was to upgrade to 4.3.3. Now it is just showing an incorrect sim problem and i can't do anything else with it. Obviously the correct sim would have to came from the States so you guys are my last resort.

Can it be fixed or is it a lost cause. Please make it simple for me. lol

Thanks

Alex

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Ah u need an unlock right ? U can access the home screen? Or is it stuck on the connect to iTunes screen? Dont worry it will be fixed. Don't update to 4.3.2 under any circumstances.. :)

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Use Redsn0w to install the iPad baseband. Since you're on 4.3.3 it'll be an untethered jailbreak which is always good. Redsn0w will activate the iPhone without the original SIM. :)

Why would he want to 'upgrade' to 4.3.2? He's already on 4.3.3 so that wouldn't make any sense. Plus, he can't do it unless he has blobs. You really should check your information before posting.

4. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I meant 4.3.4.. Grr I kno my info. It was a typo .. Chek my older posts.. No need to advice me .. I know where I stand.. Lol. M on a phone and typos happen.. Ahh well..

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I only "adviced" you because you provided incorrect information. Other information you've provided in other threads has also been full of mistakes. Now that we know that this time was a typo, we can move on with our day. :p

6. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Just once. :)
    That u corrected :) I had misread the post. Lol

7. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I can only dial an emergency number and that is all. It's just like it was when new and before you enter a sim into it.

It was jailbroken before so i could get it unlocked to run on 3 in the UK.

Thanks again.

Alex

8. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok so u need AT&T card to get the home screen. As you don't Have it we will need to hactivate it and then use Sam to get the official activation wildcard..
    1]For the hacktivation,jb,unlock use this guide:
    Code:
    http://jaxov.com/2011/05/how-to-unlock-iphone-3gs-baseband-05-16-01-05-16-02-on-ios-4-3-3/

2]now hactivated phones have some problems of battery drain and push notifications Not working properly.. To solve this we will do this :
    Code:
    ______
    http://jaxov.com/2011/05/download-sam-to-activate-iphone-4-3gs-officially-on-ios-4-3-3/
    ______

That's all.. You should be fine :)

9. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW :eek:

Is it really as easy as that?? I will try it when i get home from work in 2 weeks time. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your help. Absolute superstar :)

Alex

10. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Two weeks :0
    Do respond with the feedback.. :)

11. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a little update.
    Carried out the above instructions and now the phone works great. However, i am unable to make calls. The signal is very weak and as soon as i try to make a call it comes up with call failed. Tried 2 different sims in it and still the same.

Anyone have any ideas????

Alex

12. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Your using your UK SIM right?

13. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's a UK sim. Tried an 02 and a Vodafone one but no joy.

Alex

14. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

It seems quite odd that this is happening, probably because you hacktivated it..
    As well, why don't you sell your iPhone 3GS and use the money plus extra to get an iPhone 5 later on this year?

15. vinchino macrumors newbie

remember to use pwnagetool if you want to preserve your baseband, so you can unlock it afterwards.

DON'T upgrade your baseband to the ipad baseband!

this is true if you live in the US...but if you're in europe, you can unlock your iphone through your carrier, it has already been more than a year, so it's free service. in this case, you don't have to worry about baseband preservations.

16. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Oh ok...

17. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think i can take it into my carrier as i bought it from the U.S. unless anyone knows different?

The phone belongs to my father-in-law. Everything else on it works perfectly other than the most important thing.... calling. Not sure what to do to resolve this.

Thanks for all your help people.

Alex

18. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Guilty of not reading the thread before posting.

19. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i have done this to get it where it is now. So is this the wrong thing to have done? Everything else is great apart from being unable to make or recieve calls due to a very poor signal.

I'm sure i upgraded it to ipad baseband when doing the above. :(

Does this mean the phone is now useless and can't be saved??? :confused::confused:

Alex

20. steveiphone macrumors newbie

steveiphone

if you see on the internet an advertisement for iPhone unlocking software that looks very good, you have to be careful, because it can be a scam. Moreover, reliable unlock iPhone 3GS software cannot be very cheap or you cannot download it for free. Moreover, such stuff may not work at all, and they can make your gadget useless. Whether you are not an expert in the area it is strongly recommended to buy a iPhone 3GS Unlock software package that is prebuilt and it can unlock your gadget. Apart from the unlock iphone 3G safety it can as well provide other important facilities.

21. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Can u tell me ur modem firmware? It's in settings> general>about
    If it's 6.15.00 reflash iPad baseband using redsn0w .. Just check install iPad baseband..unchek install cydia.. And reinstall ultrasn0w :)

22. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked and it is 6.15.00. When you say re-flash ipad baseband what exactly do you mean? Just don't want to mess it up.

Thanks you once again.

Alex

23. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I mean install iPad baseband again using redsn0w just the way u did before...
    Also try resetting network settings it works many times ;)

24. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone is now making me scream!!!

I tried to re-install ipad baseband but the phone has now went into recovery mode. I have tried to restore it twice in itunes but all i get is error 1015?

Is this better that it's in recovery mode or what should my next move be????

Alex

25. alex020869 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this??????

Alex