3GS internals into Original iPhone frame?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trigonometry, Sep 6, 2010.

1. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Old habits die hard. In my younger days I use to swap new motors/parts into old Hondas for fun. Now I want to fool around with my old iPhone. Is this possible? I want to do most of the work myself but can I ship it off and have somebody up the RAM or processor? I want to go all out! Somehow add a loophole so I can put a Q-pot cellphone strap on it. JDM! Anybody know what I'm talking about?

2. Amino Man macrumors 6502

The parts won't fit.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I hear 'ya. Personally I don't thing the iPhones are well suited towards hobbists, but that's coming from the person that always has a few parts left over when I shouldn't. :) Electronics were not my strong suite other than building an occasional Heathkit kit.

The ifixit site has good teardown guides and that might be enough to get you headed in the right direction. From what I've seen the tolerances are too tight to allow more than what I would call "novelty" mods, but if you do something please post back with pictures!

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I would love to see it if you can do it. These phones are micro engineered so tightly that it would be very hard to accomplish this though.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced