3GS - iOS4.3.3 - No Service/IEMI:Unknown - Bricked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aususer, Jul 12, 2011.

1. aususer macrumors newbie

G'Day teamsters,
    I've trolled many threads but finding mixed reports on the error of this iphone I bought for my wife off fleabay..

History: Purchashed with a smashedscreen seller:"it fell off my car" but when I recieved it - yes, broken screen; also had 30% screws missing; broken usb connector; home button et.al. generally a mess.
    Repaird it physcally back to "normal" (new screen; buttons etc) and now - aside from a little minor LCD pixel faults - and it looks acceptable.

Initial Problem: When I turned it on - it had NO icons on the grey background - no settings or anything.. so "someone" (lets leave it at that) suggested it had previously been pwned and I should restore the firmware to the latest... seemed logical enough so took it to 4.3.3 (which I'd already done my other iphone 3gs to).. via itunes (DFU method).. seemed logical enough to me.. (note: didn't take note what iOS WAS on it before - bad mistake in hindsight - and no - I didn't check the "no service" functionality prior to this - in hindsight - regretably)

Current Problem: Upgrade applied perfectly: however now when I start it up I now get "no service" and it wants me to put a sim card in to activate (which I have tried with multiple Australian Vendors - seller claimed it was orginally on optus).. and now only allowing emergency; when I click on the "i", I get "IEMI: Unknown, IDDC: Unknown".

And of course, now I can't activate it or use it other than emergency calls!

I've considered jailbreaking it - but though that I shouldn't need to... I'm happy for it just to work on Optus (which my wife is already using), and don't want to run "those apps".. and I'd rather leave the baseband as NOT the ipad version (as I'd like to usethe GPS - which I'm told will break if we change irreversably)..
    is there any way I can fix this without going to that extent?

This is the first time I have posted anything about this - and I am at a loss - I'm not sure whats wrong with it. Could it be teh baseband is corrupt? I have the IEMI on the simcard holder.. so it should match..
    Serial Number is 87004Z8xxxP (x == anonyminty in case we ever get this work again :)) It'll be beyond warranty for sure (although no water damage triggers).
    If I need to reinstall the baseband - can anyone give advice on how to do this under 4.3.3?

Short of putting it back on ebay for someone else to deal with, I thought I would ask if you can give advice to get the phone to a working state so the wife can use it (and stop stealing my 3GS for her games!!)

Hope I've given enough detail to see if any kindly person can give any help guidance.
    Mike
    Melbourne, Australia.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you can't get service, it's probably an issue with the dock connector and/or not touching the metal bezel.

IMEI unknown indicates severe hardware failure. Just take it to Apple and see what they'll do for you. :eek:

3. aususer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops.. forgot to mention..
    Transplanted the dodgy "guts" into my (working) GS shell/connector etc.. same problem - this would rule out the connectivity problems with the case/connectors etc.

Additionaly, its showing "no sim installed" in itunes when I connect it up post "restore" to 4.3.3...
    I have checked the sim connectors and there are no dry joints etc on the connectors - all appears to be OK there..
    I am suspecting a software problem - but then can't rule out a hardware problem too.