3GS / iOS4 and Bluetooth headset/speaker problem (and workaround)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by = bluntman =, Jun 23, 2010.

1. = bluntman = macrumors regular

I was able to update my 16GB 3GS to iOS4 without a hitch, that is until I paired it up with my Contour Design SurfaceSound Compact Bluetooth handsfree car kit. Upon syncing the device would confirm pairing to the phone by announcing "handset connected". However, after updating to iOS4 the device would continually announce "handset connected" every minute or so (quite annoying). I've tried unpairing it to my iPhone and then repairing it but the problem continued.

However, I did find a workaround to this problem. I noticed that if I left my iPhone on the Bluetooth screen (within the Settings), the pairing takes place but it doesn't force my car kit from announcing "handset connected" every minute. Aside from not being able to switch to another screen or application, pressing the power button (turn off the display) will bring this "bug" back.

At least the iPod functions still work and I can take incoming phone calls...hopefully Apple fixes this annoyance soon.

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have a similar odd Bluetooth issue as well.

I have a Toyota Stereo with Bluetooth. My 3G with iOS4 used to work flawlessly with this. Now it connects and disconnects as your describe. I have found no solution, as what you do does not help.

Definitely something whacky with BT in the new OS.

3. = bluntman = thread starter macrumors regular

Leaving it on this screen does not help?

[​IMG]

That sucks. :(

4. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I'm having a problem with bluetooth signal degradation using my 3Gs paired with my car since I upgraded to iOS4. I've also found a few other threads reporting similar issues. I've linked to all of them at this thread.

5. idevSteve macrumors member

Just had a similar issue trying to pair my iPhone 4 with my Nissan Titan. It would switch between connected and Not connected. I didn't have the problem before with the 3GS.

6. HairyOne25 macrumors newbie

Bluetooth pairing impaired!

Since I've upgraded my 3G iPhone to iOS4, I can't pair it with my car's Bluetooth anymore.

Phone: iPhone 3g
    Bluetooth: Genuine Volvo Bluetooth Kit
    Pre iOS4: pairing easy, no problem
    Post iOS4: could make calls on Volvo Bluetooth, but incoming calls were not broadcast over the sound system
    Tried: I removed iPhone from the pairing and tried to pair again ... NO GO!

Can somebody tell me what I've done wrong? Or is it iOS4 that is the problem? From what I see in forums here and at Apple, it seems to be the fault of iOS4, but is a solution forthcoming from Apple? What do we do in the meantime?

7. HairyOne25 macrumors newbie

Bluetooth pairing impaired!

I've also updated my iPhone 3G to iOS4 recently, and now the pairing with my Bluetooth (genuine Volvo kit) doesn't work anymore. I have tried and tried again, but no go. iPhone sees the Volvo, but the Volvo cannot see iPhone. Please help?!

8. spiritrunner macrumors newbie

I do not receive incoming call notification (ringing) on my Nissan Titan audio system after updating my 3GS to the OS 4. I have to manually answer the call (by luck of noticing the phone vibration) if I'm to receive the call. All other bluetooth functions work fine and I do receive the call notification at home on my bluetooth enabled home phone system......go figure. I have not been able to replicate the issue by pairing a different phone to the Titan and it doesn't replicate with other hands free devices.

Jason

9. twr macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem with my Titan, but have the iPhone 4.

Terry

10. = bluntman = thread starter macrumors regular

I recently upgraded my bluetooth car speaker to a BlueAnt S4 in the hopes of my issue being with the SurfaceSound Compact. No dice, the BlueAnt made things a little more annoying because it has the Bluetooth (music) streaming protocol. This meant that I had to manually switch off the streaming everytime I paired the BlueAnt to my 3GS.

Yesterday I was able to pick up an iPhone4 with 4.0.1 (as with my 3GS) and on the way to work this morning, surprisingly, no re-pairing problems and I didn't even have to manually turn off streaming.