3GS iOS4 to 3.1.3 downgrade

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bromion, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bromion macrumors newbie

I may have screwed up and need advice. I have a iPhone 3GS with bootrom 359.3.2. I wasn't able to jailbreak with Pwnage Tool 3.1.3 and ended up not able to load the phone at all, so I did a standard Restore in iTunes which brought the phone to iOS 4. Now I can't jailbreak it in iOS 4 OR downgrade to 3.1.3. Whenever I try restoring with an official 3.1.3 IPSW, I get the Apple verification error, so iTunes won't restore the firmware. I tried the trick of editing the hosts file, but same thing happens. When I try Restore with a Custom iOS 4 ipsw, I get a 1604 error.

Any ideas? How can I either go back to 3.1.3 or JB the phone in iOS 4? Thanks!

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Sorry, in your situation there is simply no way to jailbreak at this time. You can neither downgrade to 3.1.3 nor jailbreak your phone at OS 4.0. You'll have to wait for a new tool to be released. For now, you're stuck at 4.0 official.

3. dazex macrumors member

Yup, without saving your device's SHSH to the Saurik server before hand. There's no way to downgrade. Apple's server stopped approving 3.1.3 restores after iOS4 came out. This is the reason you edit your host file to point to Saurik's signing server. But since you never saved your iPhone's SHSH to Saurik's signing server in the first place, you don't have any choice but to wait and pray that they are able to come up with a iOS4 jailbreak for your iPhone.

BTW, with your newer iPhone 3Gs on 3.1.3. SpiritJB would have easily jailbreak your iPhone. Much easier than using Pwanage tool.

4. Odid macrumors regular

5. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

From the article: Update: If you're on 3GS and having trouble with this method, reader Richard notes that for 3GS users: "Apple started signing their restore files requiring iTunes to "Phone home" and get permission to restore. Usually within 24 hours of a new firmware release, Apple stops signing the old versions preventing you from restoring back to an older version. The advice in your article about how to downgrade to 3.1.3 no longer works [for 3GS] because a few days ago Apple stopped signing that firmware." If you're a 3GS user experiencing this problem, check out this forum dedicated to 3GS downgrading.

I don't believe Lifehacker's method works anymore. No downgrading your 3GS unless you previously saved your SHSH to Saurik's server.. you're currently SOL and will have to wait like me ):

6. Odid macrumors regular

Have 3GS. Downgraded to 3.1.3 but I didn't access my SHSH and it worked fine.

7. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

When? I'd like to try this. What model # and bootrom?