3GS is iPhone as it was Always Meant to Be

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redman042, Jun 28, 2009.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

I owned a 3G since July 08, and just upgraded to the 3GS this week. I have to say, this is how the iPhone always should have been. I'm talking about the raw speed of this phone in executing every function, and the fluidity of the UI. It is simply amazing, and it addresses the single biggest gripe I've had about my iPhone over the last year: too much lag. That lag is completely gone on my 3GS. It is wonderful.

I use my iPhone heavily for both work (Exchange sync, calendar, and contacts) and personal needs (games, web, travel tools, photos, Facebook, etc). I have a lot of data on the phone and move between apps frequently. iPhone has always done a great job on these things, except all the little moments of lag were really starting to get on my nerves. Sometimes the lag could be 10 or 20 seconds just to start a calendar entry or get keyboard response to start a text message. I reset a lot, and sometimes did a full wipe and restore, but this only helped so much. So, when the 3GS was formally announced and I learned just how much faster it was, I simply HAD to get it immediately.

I have to believe Apple always wanted it this way, but for various reasons the original design was a compromise in processing power. In particular it seems like the 128mb of RAM in the first two generations was never enough, an Apple had to pull out their bag of tricks to juggle what was retained in RAM at any given time while leaving enough for apps. It's probably why the Settings screen took so long to open. It's also probably why my phone lagged mode than most - I have a LOT of emails and contacts that had to be retained in memory. And every 3D game seemed to come with the advice to cold-reset the phone before playing. As I've learned from experience with PCs, doubling the RAM cures a LOT of ills. A much faster processor can't hurt either!

Apple's beautiful phone OS deserves silky-smooth responsiveness to back it up, and the 3GS delivers. It makes using this phone many times more enjoyable and productive. For the first time, it truly feels like a mini PC in your pocket, and I'm no longer leery of opening even very complex web sites that used to choke the old iPhone. Browser performance is truly mind-blowing now. I know some are disappointed that Apple didn't make more improvements on this generation, but I believe the upgrade in processing power is a HUGE improvement that makes every single aspect of using the phone better, much better. I pretty much expected this generation to have a bump in speed, but I had NO idea it would be such a massive bump. "Bump" isn't even the right word.

Nicely done, Apple!

[end gush]

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If you put a faster processor in the #g version I am sure you would see the same performance gains.
    Silky smooth OS. Well the inability to provide a true multitasking OS it sure is smooth

3. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

A lot of people like to say Apple is "unable" to add multitasking. It's not true. They made a conscious decision not to add it, mainly to prevent performance and battery life problems, and also to keep the UI as simple as possible. We may not a agree with this, but that's another discussion.

The speed of the 3GS in switching apps goes a long way towards addressing the lack of multitasking IMO. Of course I still can't play Pandora while doing email.

4. smaug macrumors newbie

I have to agree. I have had an iPhone since the launch on day one and this is, finally, what it is supposed to be. Fluid as all get out and it surfs incredibly well. I can use it for many, many things and it NEVER bogs down. Second on the gush from me.

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I'm sure we'll see these kinds of threads next year, and the year after that and etc etc...the newest iPhone will always be "the way it should have been".:rolleyes:

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Many people will agree with you in the "First impression sticky above".

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's the way it was always meant to be if you don't live in the U.S.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

There is multitasking, just with Apple apps only. But would be nice to throw one or two specified apps in there, ie Pandora.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

They are unable to add it.
    Because if they do add it, battery life will sink horribly.

So, they are unable.

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

That's what I don't get. the iPod app can run in the background, why can't Pandora? The only issue I could see is the usage of 3G, but even that wouldn't kill the battery that quickly.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Make that a third. ;)

Coming from a launch day 3G, the 3GS is breath of fresh air and FAR more enjoyable to use. I agree with OP 1000% :)

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's good to hear.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Anyone who has used a Windows Mobile phone know why Multitasking is just a bad idea all around (if done wrong). Pain in the butt, I know (believe me I do, with the Sirius/XM App I can't switch out of the program for safari/mail/text etc and it's very annoying). Even though Apple's got their priorities straight OS wise (like automatically terminating apps that appear hung/ consume too many resources and giving the actual PHONE portion of the device complete priority above all other services), it just seems like if handled the wrong way it could get out of hand very quickly. Part of the thing that makes the iPhone work is that the devs can develop for a specific device and know that they have 100% of the resources available (space aside). Performance could greatly suffer if you have a program that, for instance, constantly records video transparently in the background.

14. Que macrumors 6502

as you say they CAN add it to the detriment of battery life, if they were unable it would mean that they cannot physically do it. they can.

that doesn't make them unable, it makes them unwilling.

15. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

Do you know this from first-hand lab testing or something? Because the jailbreaking community has been multi-tasking all kinds of apps on the iPhone for some time, and I hear it works pretty well. Battery life does not sink "horribly" in most cases.

BUT, like Windows phones, the Pre, and the Blackberry, multi-tasking CAN become a big problem. It depends on what you are running in the background, and how much at once. You have to be careful and shut apps down when you're truly done with them.

Apple is not ready to take all this on. They could, but they choose not to. They want the iPhone to be as easy to use for us techies and grandma alike, and always reliable. And it is. My mother-in-law, who is very technically challenged, loves her iPhone and finds it quite intuitive. You couldn't say that about ANY other smartphone.

Ask my mother in law to start worrying about "flicking away" windows to close apps when she's done with them in order to save battery, like you have to do on the Pre, and she'll say "WHAT??? Why can't I just press the Home button like the iPhone?"

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

built-in iPod battery life = 30 hours
    3G battery life = 5 hours

17. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The OP pretty much summarizes how I feel about my 3Gs (and im coming from a 2G :eek:).

It is like getting a ferrari after using public transportation :D

18. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I told my girl the same thing, those commercials when 3G first came out...that's what 3G S is TODAY.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Actually, from my experience, it does.

20. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Wifi Battery life = 10 hours
    EDGE = Longer than 3G

Whats your point? If I can drain my battery talking on 3G shouldn't I be able to drain my battery playing pandora.

21. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, actually I do know from first hand experience.

I've been in the Jailbreaking community until I got my 3GS, (Heck I still am with my 2G). Yes, it does decrease battery life.

22. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I seem to hear different things from different people, so I suppose it depends on your phone and what exactly you're running. In any case, I'm sure the hardware is capable of it, but maybe the software (OS) would need a lot of optimization to make it work well. For the reasons I've stated previously, Apple thinks it's a bad idea. I tend to agree, even though once in a while I wouldn't mind running something in the background, but it's not as important as the reliability and performance of my phone, especially now that switching apps is so fast on the 3GS.

23. verks macrumors member

verks

I does decrease the battery life but it is a option I like to have. I'm looking forward to JBing my 3GS. It makes a world of difference being able to listen to Pandora or Sirius and surf at the same time. With the increase in memory on the 3GS multitasking will be a joy.

24. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've always wondered... what's the difference between listening to Pandora in the background or leaving the app open? You'd still get pretty much the same battery hit right? The only difference would be... if you get a text and need to respond to it, you don't have to stop your stream, text, open Pandora again, and start the stream again.