3GS Jailbreak 4.0 Old Bootrom

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by swinneyn, Jul 5, 2010.

1. swinneyn macrumors member

swinneyn

I have a 3GS with a fresh restored copy of 4.0 on it. I'm on the old bootrom, but I've never jailbroke before. Is it possible to jailbreak? I've tried Pwnagetool 4.0.1 on mac but i just get the 1604 error message.

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Nope. On 3GS, you can only get to JB OS 4.0 by restoring with a custom firmware while running JB OS 3.13 or below.

3. joeflash macrumors newbie

what if you have 3.0 and an old bootrom? its been jailbroken before but now i cant seem to upgrade to 3.1

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can jailbreak with redsn0w and then upgrade to a custom 4.0 firmware.

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Apple is only signing 4.0. Thus, you can officially only upgrade to that version.

2 ways to upgrade to different version:

1) Have your SHSH files saved for firmware version you want to upgrade to. Then, you can upgrade & downgrade to that version. Search or google for Cydia & SHSH if you don't know.

2) Your phone is currently JB. This will allow you to run unsigned code. Thus, you can create custom firmware and upgrade with them.

If you are on 3.0, use Redsnow to JB it. Then, you can use option #2.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

A small correction -- your phone must not merely be jailbroken, but also pwned (that is, have a modified version of iBoot which will boot modified firmware files). The Spirit jailbreak, for instance, does not pwn the iPhone, and will not enable upgrades to custom firmwares.

7. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

This is the same boat I'm in. Got the old boot loader, but on iOS4. Those Dev Team guys do such an amazing job, especially since everything is free for us. I hope they have something up their sleeves, but I'm not going to hassle them about it.

Sure would like my phone to work! I got it from eBay. Should have asked about it first!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No option but to wait for the new jb.

9. douflag macrumors member

Ahhh, that explains why phones with Spirit JB can't go to iOS 4 properly.