3gs jailbreak and unlock "issues"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by toejam123, Jan 4, 2012.

1. toejam123 macrumors newbie

Guy’s I have really messed up my iphone 3gs with a recent redsn0w_win_0.9.9b6/sn0wbreeze-v2.7.3 jailbreak and unlock attempt. History here is right after I bought this phone a few years ago I jailbroke and unlocked it myself up to 3.1.3 firmware and 5.12.01 baseband. Though I had difficulties it all worked and I’ve been using the phone with my Tmobile service happily ever since. Then a few weeks ago I determined it was time to update my firmware so I started reading up and found the latest 5.0.1 is having a lot of battery issues so I decided I would try to go with 4.3.3 since it was the last of the 4.0 un-tethered jailbreaks which allows me to save my 5.12.01 baseband.

First attempt was with redsnow and the custom firmware restore keep giving me the 3194 (I think) error. So I tried sn0wbreeze and the only thing different I did there was select the older bootrom version for the custom IPSW then what I had selected on redsn0w. No problems at all getting into DFU or pwned DFU modes. The sn0wbreeze custom worked and itunes was able to restore my phone with the 4.3.3 custom firmware and keeping my 5.12.01 baseband. Was even able to get all my app, contacts, ect loaded. Cydia was there and I installed ultrasnow and was up and running with my unlock also. The only bad thing was I had to do tethered boots when I powered down the phone which I found odd since this was supposed to be a un-ththered jailbreak. That night I hooked the phone up to a wall socked to keep the battery changed.

The next day nothing! Black screen. Trying to do a recovery fix (or just boot)via redsn0w or tinyumbrella did nothing though I was getting a white screen with rs early on. Now I cannot get anything but black screen although when I have the phone plugged into my computer and I go through the motions like I’m trying to put it into pwned mode I do get the tones from the computer. Yes I tried another computer and my USB is good also.

Trying to restore in itunes with Apple’s IPSW (iphone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore) firmware I get the 3194 error message. Try to restore using the sn0wbreeze or redsn0w custom IPWS 3gs 4.3.3’s copies I get the 1600 error message. That’s without pwned DFU (I know but I had to try it both ways to see what errors I would get). Trying restore in pwned DFU mode via iFaith, redsn0w, or sn0wbreeze (IREB) I get the 1601 error with it taking significantly more time (before error message) with the redsn0w/sn0wbreeze’s pwned DFU mode. On the redsn0w and sn0wbreeze I also hear the windows tone half way through like I unplugged a USB device. Guessing the tone is saying the phone was indeed in the pwned mode at the start?

For TinyUmbrella v5.10.03 it now shows my device not connected (as does iExplorer and iFunBox). Windows local disk does not show the device either however, like I said, when I plug in or unplug I still get the tones. Via usbview and manually putting my ECID number in TU shows these SHSH saved. It also shows this log is for the 3.1.3 firmware with the baseband 5.12.01 which was again the set up before I tried this jailbreak/unlock.
    iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)
    iPhone3GS 4.0.1 (8A306)
    iPhone3GS 4.0.2 (8A400)
    iPhone3GS 4.1 (8B117)
    iPhone3GS 4.2.1 (8C148a)
    iPhone3GS 4.3 (8F190)
    iPhone3GS 5.0.1 (9A405)
    iPhone3GS 5.1b1 (9B5117b)

For the itunes restore logs this is the closest I could find which didn’t have the 3194 error message.
    iphoneupdater 13 - Pastebin.com

That’s my dilemma. From what I’ve read it sure acts like I’m stuck in DFU mode/modes then again I cannot restore in either mode on itunes? The countless youtube videos and forums I’ve searched regarding these symptoms have produced no positive results for me. Have been considering attempting the 5.0.1 jailbreak and unlock or maybe a full blown Apple update but at this point I’m afraid to try anything else. Since I’ve just about given up any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

today i tried updating to 5.0.1 firmware via redsn0w and that did not work either. still not sure what DFU mode i'm in with the black screen but today sometimes white. today's attempt with my custom firmware got error 1602 (that's a new one). then i tried to downgrade to a lower firmware and neither redsn0w or sn0wbreeze would accept it saying that firmware is not supported. i've just about given up on this and will make up my mind tonight on whether i attempt a full factory restore or not. at this point the phone is completely useless anyway.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

let's start from beginning. When you plug it into computer, Itune open, did Itunes detect your phone (even it has black screen)?

4. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I plug in or leave it plugged in during boot it doesn't matter. Nothing sees it and yes the screen remains black. The only time itunes sees it is when I try to put it into DFU or pwned DFU modes via RS or SB then it sees it (I think). When that happens and I try a restore it always starts and gets to a certain point when I hear the usb unplug/plug in tone from the computer (this tone also occurs when I try the DFU modes). Then shortly afterwards I get one of the many error messages I have encountered during this mess. I've tried different usb ports and a different computer, and no I have not tried a different wire but since the jailbreak worked earlier I seriously doubt that's the issue here. The only change lately like stated earlier is I now seem to be getting the white screen a lot when I try a restore or fix via TU or RS. From what I've been reading I doubt that a factory restore will work either but again I'm "really" not wanting to go to that extreme yet.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Which firmware are you trying to restore to? also what error message did Itunes give to you?

6. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

4.3.3 at first then 5.0.1, you name it on errors.

7. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

tonight's fix recovery attempt log on TinyUmbrella

http://pastebin.com/8z35kNDS

still getting a white screen when i do this and the phone seems to be cycling in and out of DFU and Pwned DFU it's it is actually in these modes. Reason I say that is I keep hearing the USB tones. other than that the phone still reamain BLACK

8. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I don't think apple is signing 4.3.3 anymore. Trying restoring in iTunes to 4.1. You should get the 1015 error then run IREB.

9. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

you are correct sir

however after 4 tries with 4.1 firmware with different setting on TinyUmbrella each time, it doesn't work either. first (error 28) with all but "set hosts to cydia" option clicked. next that option and "request SHSH from cydia" unchecked gets (error 1601). next was all clicked and (error 1600). last was all unchecked (error 1600). right now i would kill for a 1015 error! and without being able to see any action on the screen this fix just might be impossible at this point.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

you need to learn how to use capital and write proper sentences. it's very difficult to read your long post.

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since Apple is still signing 4.1. Therefore, you need to make your your hosts point to Apple server and not Cydia. Once you do so, Itunes will then restore your phone back down to 4.1. If you use customs firmware to restore, then it will go through without any error. However, if you use official Apple firmware, you will get 1015 error due to baseband different. If that happens, use TU to exit recovery and your phone will boot up to activation/emergency screen.

12. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply Crystal-RX. okay here’s what happens with a firmware 4.1.0 attempt.
    TinyUmbrella v5.10.05 is open and TSS server is running. C,D and E attempts are with TU’s “set hosts to cydia on exit” being UNCHECKED on both 1st and 2nd attempts.
    TU setting for attempts a/b:

Update iphone 4 baseband = unchecked
    Save all available shsh = checked
    Set hosts to cydia on exit = checked
    Request shsh from cydia = unchecked
    Overwrite existing shsh files on save shsh = checked
    When connecting a device… = checked

Itunes 10.5.2.11 is running
    1st attempts with only iphone2,1_4.1_88117_Restore firmware:

a. DFU mode??? Maybe (itunes is seeing a iphone here) = screen turning white, computer tones = yes, error = (28), after error dialog box opens screen turns back to black and computer tone goes off again.

b. Pwned DFU mode??? Maybe through redsn0w 0.9.10b3(itunes is seeing a iphone here)= screen turning white, computer tones = yes, error = (28), after error dialog box opens screen turns back to black and computer tone goes off again.

c. DFU mode??? = same as “a”

d. Pwned DFU mode??? Maybe through redsn0w 0.9.10b3 Screen turning white, computer tones = yes, error = (1618) screen stays “white” after this error dialog box appears with no computer tones

e. Pwned DFU mode??? Maybe through sn0wbreeze-v2.8b9 IREB. Screen turning white, computer tones= yes, error = (28) screen turns back to black after this error dialog box appears with a computer tone

2nd attempts with only sn0wbreeze_iphone 3GS-4.1 firmware:

a. DFU mode??? = screen remains black, computer tones = no, error = (1600) nothing happens and no tones when error dialog box appears

b. pwned DFU mode??? redsn0w= screen turning white, computer tones = yes, error = (28), after error dialog box opens white screen turns back to black and computer tone goes off agin.

c. DFU mode???= same as 2nd “a”

d. pwned DFU mode??? Maybe through redsn0w 0.9.10b3. screen turns white, computer tones = yes, error (28) screen turns back to black after error dialog box appears with computer tones.

e. Pwned DFU mode??? Maybe through sn0wbreeze-v2.8b9 IREB. Screen turns white, computer tones = yes, error (28) screen turns back to black when error dialog box appears with computer tones.

all i have the engery and patients for right now, thanks again

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You make things so complicate. As my previous post, Apple is currently signing 4.1. So, just make sure your hosts point to Apple server. On Tiny Umbrella, you need to UNCHECK "Set hosts to Cydia on exit", put your phone in DFU mode and then restore it to 4.1 (There are several tools that can help you to put phone into DFU mode).

14. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

every single thing you say to try here has been tried (and with many variations as posted above). do you know how i can get the screen working again?

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

What happen if you do a hard reboot? did you see USB cable & Itune on the screen or it remains white?

16. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. toejam123 thread starter macrumors newbie