Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Hi,
I have a 3gs with 3.1.2. I used redsnow to jailbreak it with the original sim in the phone. Now, the phone wont recieve any cellular signal. I do not have my SHSH signed (apple stopped signing 3.1.2 on the day that I got the phone and I used the jailbreak).

My question is, do I have to restore and jailbreak again, or can I run redsnow again without a full restore?

Also, I plan on using an unlock later. Is it better to hacktivate and then use unlock or should I not hacktivate (since i have the original sim with me)? If I do choose to hacktivate, I can just remove the sim before jailbreaking and leave it empty?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi,
I have a 3gs with 3.1.2. I used redsnow to jailbreak it with the original sim in the phone. Now, the phone wont recieve any cellular signal. I do not have my SHSH signed (apple stopped signing 3.1.2 on the day that I got the phone and I used the jailbreak).

My question is, do I have to restore and jailbreak again, or can I run redsnow again without a full restore?

Also, I plan on using an unlock later. Is it better to hacktivate and then use unlock or should I not hacktivate (since i have the original sim with me)? If I do choose to hacktivate, I can just remove the sim before jailbreaking and leave it empty?

I don't know of any way to fix this except to re-JB

If you have an official sim, you never hactivate the phone, even if you plan to unlock. Leave sim in phone, it will activate phone when JB is complete.

When you are ready to unlock, just run Ultrasnow or Blacksn0w

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Thank you for the replies.

@dhlizard: By re-jailbreak, do u mean that I need to do a restore and then jailbreak, or can I just run redsnow again?

@thelatinist: I dont want to un-hacktivate. I just want to know if there are any benefits either way (hacktivated or not).

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Nevermind.....I got it to work. I installed blacksn0w and pushfix (just to be safe about the wifi issues), and its getting a signal now. For some reason, it was not getting a signal when I put in the original sim after the jailbreak. I was so lucky to get an refurbed untethered 3GS. Thought I screwed it up. Thank you for the replies.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
@thelatinist: I dont want to un-hacktivate. I just want to know if there are any benefits either way (hacktivated or not).

Yes, you do. Only phones which cannot be activated with an official SIM should be hacktivated. Official activation makes your phone able to work with an official carrier SIM without unlocking, and it prevents issues with push notifications. Even if you think you've fixed these issues with PushFix, you are likely to have them recur down the road. Restore your phone using an unactivated custom 3.1.2 firmware made with PwnageTool, then activated with your official SIM.

Again, hacktivation is only for phones not on an official carrier. If you have the option to activate with an official SIM (even one you borrow from a friend) you should never hacktivate your phone.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for clearing that up. I dont currently have access to a mac (so, no pwnagetool), and I dont really trust sn0wbreeze. But I will take your advice and not hactivate in the future.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.