3gs jailbreak question.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rocketronnie, Feb 9, 2011.

1. rocketronnie, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

rocketronnie macrumors newbie

Hi there you guys have probably been asked the same question over and over again but i can't seem to find out what i need.

My cousin has bought an iphone 3gs and it need's unlocked so which ofc means it needs jailbroken, it's currently on the firmware 4.2.1 and the baseband is 05.15.04.

How would i go about jailbreaking the phone and also unlocking it and is it actually possible?

Many thank's :)!

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

05.15.04 can not currently be unlocked. If you're desperate for an unlock you can use Redsn0w to flash the 3GS with the iPad fw 3.2.2 baseband (06.15.00) and then unlock with Ultrasn0w 1.2

Instructions and due warnings can be found here; http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

If you want to use 3GS as an iPod and wait out an unlock, like you should, you jailbreak with www.greenpois0n.com

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Jailbreak with the new Greenpoison and use redsn0w (0.9.6b6 or higher) to install the iPad baseband. This baseband will disable GPS and you will also have to restore twice if you do end up wanting to restore. If you end up having to restore at some point, restore first in recovery mode (iTunes screen on the phone) and it will fail. Restore again in DFU. You'll get a 1015 error, use iReb to kick it out. Voila.

If wanting to restore, you will also need to have the IPSWs downloaded to your computer and shift+restore.