3GS Jailbroken and Unlocked on 3.1.3 - How do I go up?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by voodooca, Dec 17, 2010.

1. voodooca macrumors newbie

Ok,

I need some help...

I have searched the web and this site and I am trying to find out what I need to do to take this phone into a 4.?.? world...

I have a Windows Computer
    I have a 3GS that is Jailborken and Unlocked
    It has 3.1.3 loaded currently
    It has 5.12.01 modem baseband loaded
    The phone is from the UK - (I am in Canada) so I cannot use the phone without the unlock.

I dont know where to start...
    I have saved the SHSH Blobs, but I dont understand the next steps, or if I even need them...

Can someone help me please?

2. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I have found something... someone let me know if I am on the right track...

I found an old download for 4.0.1 and saw on the jailbreakme.com website that as long as you are not above this version, you can still use the jailbreakme.com site to jailbreak the phone...

Sooooo - do I install 4.0.1 using the file that I phone (and the iTunes restore deal?), then jailbreak using jailbreakme.com, then unlock using the ultrasnow?

I just dont want to lose the unlock - cause I will not be able to use this phone if I cannot keep it off the O2 network in the UK.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

If you are on old bottom you could go to 4.2.1 and retain your baseband to unlock.

This thread has a custom ipsw you need in post 3 and a simplified update process in post 34
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058668

If you have trouble with redsn0w jailbreak try restoring again as new.

4. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, one other thing...

Everything I am finding seems to tell me that this should work - EXCEPT...

Can I ACTIVATE the phone on my computer when I install 4.0.1 - the phone will be back to O2 network in the UK and I do not have access to a SIM card from them at all...

Can I just activate it?

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Beg or borrow an AT&T sim to activate. Edit; or whatever carrier your phone is locked to? We are all AT&T over here.

Alternative is hacktivation which has big drawbacks. A new method is SAM, subscriber activation module in cydia.

6. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Max - I was replying while you were...

Can I just install that custom IPSW file and do nothing else?
    I am just a little unclear as to the series of events and how everything should be done...

I have modem firmware 5.12.01 - I am assuming that means the "old" version?

Thanks again...

7. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

Max - This baby is locked to O2 from the UK - I am in Canada and will assume that I have NO access to the SIM card from that area...

So am I right in thinking that once I upgrade to 4.0.1 from the file that I found I wont be able to activate the phone unless I have an O2 SIM?

Can I just use this custom IPSW and not have to worry about activating again?
    I dont quite understand what will happen when I install the custom IPSW.

8. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

O2 unlock iPhones for free
    £15 for pay and go users

9. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean localboy? I can call o2 from Canada and tell them to unlock my phone? I have no plan with them... I just happen to have on of their phones...

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Contact them and find out details.
    You might be able to buy a prepaid o2 $15 sim card and use that to pay for the unlock. And then you will have a factory unlocked iphone with no basebands or unlocks to worry about.

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Absolutely Pursue a factory unlock if you can, you won't have to worry about anything after that. Just use the latest official firmware and use whatever carrier you want, living the dream.

12. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I read about the o2 idea as much as I could - but it seems like a long shot to get it to work. They have a page dedicated to iPhone unlock requests, but I can't even access it cause I am not in the uk. I also read that you needed to be the original owner of the phone for this to work...

I started looking at the sn0wbreeze method for upgrading and maintaining as much as I could.

I tried using it (2.1) to upgrade to 4.1
    I was able to build a custom firmware
    Then i got a 3194 error in iTunes while trying to restore using the custom firmware
    Apparently it is because that version of the firmware is no longer signed

I have a 4.2.1 custom firmware version that i downloaded - I am afraid to use that and have a locked phone after.

How do i get this phone to 4.0 or higher without the original sim?

13. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

If it is the ipsw that I pointed you to at the top of this thread that is the one I used and it is fine. Others here are using it too. It won't update your baseband which is what you want.

If you can't get the legit carrier sim you can try SAM (subscriber activation module). The old method for hactivation has issues but it works.

To see if you have old boot rom look for iDetector, it will tell you what you have for sure but sounds like you are set.

14. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah - that's the one I have.
    So you have a 3GS and used that file?

I have contacted o2 and their initial comment is that the original owner of the phone has to contact then for the unlock - that is going to be close to impossible for me to find that person and get them to do that.

If I use that custom firmware and something goes wrong - how do I go back to 3.1.3?

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

My notes from when I did this.

16. voodooca thread starter macrumors newbie

Just noticed that you said it does not contain hacktivation...
    Not going to try that yet...

Waiting to see what o2 comes back with... Told them original owner cannot be found.

What happens if you use 4.2.1 in sn0wbreeze?

17. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yes, that ipsw is clean and open to whatever you wan to do. From what I read I wouldn't want to hactivate either, SAM sounds much better.

This would be the best, keep at it. Everything is irrelevant with factory unlock.

I assume it fails or errors, not supported. Redsn0w is all there is at the moment for 4.2.1.