3gs Jailbroken update to 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AndyC, Dec 23, 2010.

1. AndyC macrumors member

I have a 3gs which is currently jailbroken and on IOS4.1, it has also been unlocked by the carrier.
    It is the old bootrom and on modem firmware 5.11.07.

How do i update to 4.2.1? Will i loose the carrier unlock?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can either use PwnageTool (Mac) to create a custom ipsw and install the 3GS bundles so the jailbreak will remain untethered. PwnageTool "preserves" your baseband.

Or you can download a custom ipsw if you're a windows user.

3. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

If it is truly unlocked by the carrier then it doesn't matter what bootrom is in there. It will always be unlocked with any software update.

4. AndyC thread starter macrumors member

So is there any reason why i should or shouldn't upgrade the baseband as well?

It was Unlocked by O2 and is on a vodafone sim

thanks

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If the carrier unlocked it, you have nothing to worry about the baseband, you will always remind unlock.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Once you update the OS on your phone to 4.2.1, the baseband will be 03.15. So, in order for you to unlock it, you will have to use upgrade the baseband to 06.15 which is Ipad baseband. Ultrasn0w will unlock this Ipad baseband. However, there are complains that GPS is not working properly when the Iphone 3G/GS are running on Ipad baseband 06.15. So, it is all depending on what you need.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

OP, please don't get confuse, you don't need to mess with the iPad baseband or any 3er party unlocking tool, your carrier provided Apple servers with the unlocking code for your phone, every time you upgrade Apple will see that and Unlock your Baseband. you got nothing to worry about when you got Official unlocks.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Guys read a little better. He said it's factory unlocked. And since it's the old bootrom it will also be untethered on 4.2.1
    Just update to official 4.2.1 and run redsnow.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Sorry guys. It is my bad that I missed the "Carrier unlock" part. So, if is carrier unlock, then there should be no issue to upgrade to the latest IOS. Only slightly issue is that the latest OS has to be tethered boot up every time the battery runs out or the device is turning off. Otherwise, he is good to go.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You also missed the part where he said he got the early bootrom. It will be untethered.

11. AndyC thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I have just created custom firmware with pwnagetool and restored it to iphone.

Phones comes back on and shows a 4.2.1 and i get signal and can connect to wifi etc.

However, i added the Open SSH support to allow me to update cydia so it works on 4.2.1 (unless there is another way)?

I cannot connect to iphone using cyberduck i get connection timeout

also, safari does not open, starts briefly then closes

any ideas??

thanks

12. AndyC thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: if i remove the Open SSH and Cydia options form packages in pwnage tool and reapply the firmware, safari works, but do not have SSH or cydia