3GS keeps of switching off then apple logo appearing...

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hey folks, running a 32GB 3GS, OS 4.3.4 here and today it keeps on rebooting itself for no reason.

From when it goes off to being back to normal again takes bout 2 minutes and each time it does it, It shows a completely different battery percentage remaining once rebooted.

Can anyone tell me whats causing it?

Thanks

James

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
okay, by restore you mean to factory settings through itunes?

Then can I restore to exactly how my phone was before restoring to factory settings?

Comment

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Im doing to factory restore which seems to of worked fine.

Now selected my latest backup and restoring that, however the phone still keeps on rebooting literally every 5 minutes whilst itunes is half way through installing the apps!?...

...I have 32gb of apps and tunes on the, its going to be a long night!

luckily it does start where it left off each time though

Last edited:
Comment

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Finally fully restored, and the phone has exactly the same symptoms, not going longer that 5 minutes before rebooting itself. Gutted, dont know what else to do?

Comment

AMDENCO

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2010
you need to google DFU mode restore. I had a 3gs that did this once and that fixed it.

Comment

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
When you restore, set up your iPhone new. Something in your backup is causing your iPhone to do the reboots.

Comment

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Just done the DFU Restore, and restored the phone from my latest back up and still the same problem! grrr

When you say to set up as a new iphone does that mean that I will never be able to use my latest backup?

If I was to set up as a new iphone, how does the latest backup still available to use at another date?

Comment

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Just done the DFU Restore, and restored the phone from my latest back up and still the same problem! grrr

When you say to set up as a new iphone does that mean that I will never be able to use my latest backup?

If I was to set up as a new iphone, how does the latest backup still available to use at another date?
Yeah, when you set it up as new you start fresh.

Comment

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Right okay, I guess that is the last resort..

I have over 400 numbers in my phonebook, how on earth do I get these into the new fresh one?

Also can my messages be saved / transferred?

thanks

James

Comment

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
UPDATE

today I bit the bullet and decided to restore my iPhone from New, brand new profile, via DFU mode and it still hasnt solved it - keeps on switching itself off and rebooting even as a fresh install.

Really running out of ideas now... :-(

James

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.