3Gs Manual Downgrade to 4.3.3 - not eligible for request build error

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jthoma, Aug 21, 2011.

1. jthoma macrumors newbie

[Reposting in the appropriate section]

An unfortunate series of events resulted in 4.3.5 on my 3Gs, which I've been trying to correct for the past two weeks. I've attempted a manual downgrade to 4.3.3 numerous times, all ending in epic failure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's the process I've been trying:

Entering pwned DFU via Redsn0w.
    Alt+Restore in iTunes, selecting 4.3.3.
    EVERY time, this results in "Device not eligible for the requested build" error.
    I have tried redirecting the server in the host file (/private/etc/) a million times, first adding 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com, then removing it when other sources indicated that this was actually what was causing the error message.
    However, no matter which way I have it set (Apple or Cydia), I still receive the same error message.
    Have double checked firmware and should be correct for my 3Gs - iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw
    Newest version of iTunes, Mac OSX.

I am at a loss with these. The one thing I am less sure about is that I have also been using TinyUmbrella to try to kick it out of the recovery loop. I have unchecked the "redirect to Cydia" box as recommended. Have come across some info about SHSH blobs in TU, but I'm not as clear on this, and not sure if this is actually relevant to my situation. Suspect this may possibly be where I'm screwing things up, but again, not sure.

Any and all advice massively appreciated, before I completely lose my ****.
    -_-

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Welcome to the world of Apple. They prevent you from loading any version of IOS except the current version which is 4.3.5. The do this by signing the software and restricting that signing to current version only.

There is a work around this but unfortunately it is probably a bit too late for you. There is an application called Tiny umbrella which you can use to save what are called SHSH blobs and is a part of the signing process. However, you have to save these which the IOS version is actually being signed.

If you ran the application today you can only save SHSH for 4.3.5.

Most individuals who are familar with Jailbreaking have been saving SHSH blobs for each version as it was released.

However, for some strange reason apple is still signing 4.1 for the 3GS so you can downgrade to that version if you chose. If you go back to 4.1 you will get a 1013 error becasue you baseband which is the one for 4.3.5 is higher than the one with 4.1. You can however kick it out of recovery with TU.

3. jthoma thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks much for the direction!

Checked TinyUmbrella and it actually has 4.1 listed in there as an option along with my current 4.3.5. I guess my next step is to figure out *exactly* how to use TU for this process, and give that a shot... is the downgrade done entirely with TU, or would I still need to alt+restore to 4.1 ipsw with iTunes? I can probably figure this out if I google enough, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask since you seem to be quite the expert. :)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. jthoma thread starter macrumors newbie

I know those are my only two options firmware-wise. Just wondering if the restore to 4.1 is completed entirely with TinyUmbrella or if I still need to go through the alt+restore process in iTunes too.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes to both.
    You need to have TU open and start TSS server running, download the official 4.1 and alt restore with iTunes.

7. jthoma thread starter macrumors newbie