3GS memory

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tnung, Nov 13, 2012.

1. tnung macrumors newbie

I noticed the breakdown of memory for my 3gs (songs, apps, photos and other). what is the other? i am using up 1.1 gig of "other", and would like to free up that memory. or is there another way to free up memory?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

3. tnung thread starter macrumors newbie

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

A good place to start is to go to Settings > General > Usage and wait for your apps to load. They'll be presented as a list with the apps taking up the most storage at the top and those taking up the least at the bottom. You can then look through them and decide if there are any you don't need or which ones are taking up more room than necessary.

For example, I have a couple of photography apps that save photos both within each app but also to my Photos.app. I don't need the same photos on my phone in two separate locations so, when I'm low on storage, I identify which is taking up more space than I can spare and I then delete one of the sets of photos.

Also, if you've sent photos and/or videos via text or iMessage, those are also taking up space on your phone so, depending on your situation, you may be able to free up a significant amount of space by either deleting those photos/videos individually or deleting the entire conversation(s). In my experience, I've been able to free up more than 1 GB by deleting even just one such conversation.