3GS - new backup taking 2+ hours. is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Foxtrot01, May 6, 2010.

1. Foxtrot01 macrumors newbie

I lost my original backup file for my 3GS and I am getting a replacement today. I called the apple store and the mac genius told me to create a backup, I downloaded a fresh copy of itunes to my new laptop, connected the 3GS, on the icon I right clicked "create backup" and the back up started, my phone says, sync in process and the itunes says "Backing up "XXXNAMEXXXX" "
    the little wheel is turning so I know its reading and the meter is moving but its moving very slow, I started this at 6:35am and now it's 9:02am and it's only half way. Is this normal?, does it take this long to create a first backup file? I have a 16Gb but I have 10Gb free, I dont have much in it, just about 1184 pics and some applications.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The first backup takes awhile, but yours seems to be much too slow. Just let it finish and then try to backup again in a few days. If it's this slow again, you might want to restore your phone.

3. Foxtrot01 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is my first backup, I lost my original backup and Im trying to back it up before my appointment with apple to get the replacement, my appointment is at 11:40am, I thought it was going to be done by then. I hope it does. How do I know its going to do a good backup and this will work once I plug in the new 3GS? will it take this long to restore the backup to the new phone?

thank you for your reply.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You really don't know. What you could do is copy the backup, put it in a safe place, and then backup the phone again (hopefully you won't get the same backup behavior). Then you'd have two copies.

With the new phone, it should be a 15-30 minutes. Syncing will take the longest time, and that should be more than an hours or so. I have a 16GB 3G and that's my experience.

5. Foxtrot01 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I have to wait until the backup is done and do a copy of the backup, how do I do this? I have a cd burner on my laptop.

also will the backup copy save my contacts, SMS, MMS, pics and ringtones?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The backup is here:

On Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

On Windows Vista:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\MobileSync\Backup

On Mac:
    /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

No need to use a CD. Just copy it to the desktop or some folder.

The backup has your contacts, SMS, MMS, ONLY camera roll pics, ringtones, calendar, notes, game saves and app settings, home screen layout and some other stuff I'm forgetting. It doesn't have pics that aren't camera roll, movies, podcasts, and music.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

8. Foxtrot01 thread starter macrumors newbie

ringtone question

hello,
    well it took 12 hours to create a backup and I changed the phone and did a backpup restore and although it took 17 hours to restore everything is back, so I am a happy camper!!!

just in case same thing happens again I burned the backup files to a DVD for future use.

I am trying to add the old ringtones which was the only thing that I saved from the old computer. The ringtones are ringtones extensions and I have added them on the Itunes ringtones section.
    when I tried to sync it says that my iphone is sync with another itunes library and If I want to erase my iphone and sync this new library if I want to add the ringtones, I currently dont have any music on my iphone, if I decide to erase & sync, will this erase my pics, SMS, MMS, apps? or just the music(if I had any)

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If those photos are photos you "synced" then yes they will be deleted and you'll have to sync them again.

Did you sync the photos from this computer and then uncheck the box? You need to leave the box checked next time. Also, did you authorize this computer? Sounds like you didn't from the messages.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

9/10t the reason your iPhone is taking so long to back up is because you have a corrupt app.