3GS - New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HoddzDJ, Sep 1, 2011.

1. HoddzDJ macrumors member

Okay guys, this is my first post here and Mac Rumors and I am a new MacBook Pro owner and very happy with my purchase. I have an iPad and an iPhone currently synced to my existing Windows Laptop but I want to do away with it and have everything on my new MacBook Pro simply because it is a better spec and so much faster. I'm not worried about the stuff that's on my iPad as it's only a few apps, and I can get them all again, but I'm more worried about my iPhone.

I have 100+ contacts on there that I don't want to lose, plus a shed load of apps and also some tunes that I have purchased from the iTunes Store on my phone that aren't currently on my Laptop. Would it be best for me to get the copies of the tunes on my PC and then get them over to my MacBook if I want to keep them (which I do).

I'm just new to the whole moving stuff around, and I want to do it right! Thanks for any help in advance :)

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I believe that all you would have to do is copy the entire iTunes folder out of your Music folder on the Windows PC to your Macbook Pro's Music folder. Then open iTunes and try playing a song. It should say that it cannot find it, and ask you to browse to the folder location. Might take a few to update the library with the new path info.

After that, plug in your iPhone and it should sync normally. Someone else chime in for sure that this will work, please. I've done Windows-to-Windows and Mac-to-Mac transfers of iTunes libraries before, but never Windows-to-Mac.

3. HoddzDJ thread starter macrumors member

I don't want all of the music, heck I won't listen to most of it! I just want to use my MacBook Pro to sync my iPhone and iPad. Sure, I will move some of the music but not all of it is needed. Could I just hunt down for the backup files for the iPhone and iPad?