3gs on 3.1.3 need jailbreak and unlock what options ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jaybe1, Mar 20, 2012.

1. jaybe1 macrumors member

A mate is dropping his 3gs in later to be jailbroken and unlocked. Not sure if its old or new bootrom yet. Whats the best option to jailbreak and unlock with if its either old or new ? Snowbreeze ? Cheers in advance

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you update your firmware make sure you save your unlockable baseband by creating a custom ipsw with either snowbreeze or redsnow.
    If its old bootrom you can go to an untethered 5.1 and install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock.

3. jaybe1 thread starter macrumors member

If its new bootrom how do i update to 5.0.1 now that apple have brought out 5.1 ? Didnt think it was possible. Cheers for the reply

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can go to 5.0.1 only if you have shsh's blobs saved.
    Use tiny umbrella to find out if you have any saved on cydias server.
    If not only options are stay at 3.1.3 or go up to 5.1

5. jaybe1 thread starter macrumors member

Thats what i thought alright. Cheers for the help. The phone was never jailbroken before so no blobs saved. What would you recommend to jailbreak and unlock with ? I remember jailbreaking with spirit myself back in the day but not sure if it still applies and have never needed to unlock before so have never done it. Think it was ultrasnow back then to do that.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Open safari on your phone, type in jailbreakme.com and install Cydia. You are done with jail breaking your phon. That is simple with the firmware you have on your phone.

As for unlock, I believe your phone baseband is 05.13. So, just install ultrasn0w in Cydia to unlock your phone after you jailbreak it.

7. jaybe1 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers mate will do that so. Didn't get the phone yet getting it tonight instead now thanks for the help guys apprecite it.

8. jaybe1 thread starter macrumors member

Ok the phone is jailbroken and used ultrasn0w to unlock but its still locked. When i put another sim in it comes up to unblock or cancel i hit unblock but its still locked. Any ideas ?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go to settings/general/about/ modem firmware version?

10. jaybe1 thread starter macrumors member

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, that's good.
    Try reinstalling ultrasnow and try to reset network settings if it still won't accept your sim.
    Try a bunch of restarts too, it should eventually accept it. Are you trying to use tmobile USA by any chance?

12. jaybe1 thread starter macrumors member

No im in Ireland mate its a vodafone phone. Just unlocking it for use here. Ill have to try it tomorrow evening he had to go and brought the phone with him but ill let you know how it goes thanks for the help.